rat with rectal prolapse, please help!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocket, if you want to battle it out let's go. I don't use wikipedia, I use my vet, experience, citing medical articles and ratguide.com.

As for "wet tail"... (From https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0IktDxBgxO4k_50ts8OXNb)
Diarrhea may occur in Syrian hamsters of any age and is known as “wet tail,” although this euphemism is frequently used to describe the disease in young hamsters. Proliferative ileitis is the most significant intestinal disease of 3- to 10-wk old Syrian hamsters and results in high mortality. It is caused by the intracellular bacterium Lawsonia intracellularis. Treatment involves correcting life-threatening electrolyte imbalance and dehydration, administering antibiotics, and force feeding. Several antibiotic treatments are recommended, including doxycycline (5–10 mg/kg, PO, bid for 5–7 days), enrofloxacin (10 mg/kg, PO or IM, bid for 5–7 days), and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (30 mg/kg, PO, bid for 5–7 days). Symptomatic treatment with bismuth subsalicylate may be given if diarrhea persists. Replacement electrolyte and glucose solutions should be given orally, and electrolyte fluid replacement such as saline or lactated Ringer's solution should be given at a dosage of 20 mL/100 g body wt once daily. Sequelae of proliferative ileitis in surviving Syrian hamsters may include eventual obstruction, intussusception, or rectal prolapse.

Clostridium difficile , gross lesions, hamster
clostridium-difficile-gross-lesions-hamster-exlha28-high.jpg

COURTESY OF DR. J. GLENN SONGER.
Diarrhea in adult Syrian hamsters is associated with Clostridium difficileenterotoxemia and, as in guinea pigs, may occur 3–5 days after administration of antibiotics such as penicillin, lincomycin, or bacitracin.

The discharge doesn't look like a standard diarrhea which should smell foul (bacteria). Just trying to determine what's going on here. As for the BRAT diet, see if some rice and toast help firm up the poop she is having. Check for bloat, gently feel her belly and feel for lumps inside.
I only used Wikipedia cuz it was easy. As for battling it out, i really dont care what you say, everyone refers to wettail as a bacterial infection affecting rodents. The one specific bacteria which "wettail" the actual medical illness affects hamstets, yes. But when people day "wettail", they are generally referring to any severe bacterial infection in rodents causing severe diarrhea. Go battle that with the rest of humanity. Do i ssy "my rat has wettail to my vet? No, i dont, since i know the specifics. Will i say my rat has wettail when someone else says that my rat has wettail? Yup, for the sake of dumb arguments where i feel a need to correct people, as you obviously do, i certaily will.

Metronidazole is used for anaerobic bacteria and is used for giardia but that isn't very common. In the OP's case I would always recommend going to a vet, possibly getting a fecal done.

Back