Rat with Paraphimosis

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pippin and Merry

At least it seems similar to paraphimosis from what i've read on Rat Health Guide. Poor boy got his bits stuck outside last night and I've been trying to help him while waiting to get him into the vet. I've tried a few things (that were recommended on RHG) to get his junk back in, but nothing has really helped so far and only made him mad at me. No vets except the emergency ones are open tomorrow and they're all closed for today and I'm not sure what to do. I've been keeping the area clean and I'm considering temporarily moving him to the travel cage so I can keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself and his brother doesn't try anything. Any advice for helping him get his bits back in place would be appreciated, I'd love to help him out sooner rather than on Monday when all the vets over here open back up.

As for what I've tried, so far its a bit of oil to help lubricate in case that was the issue, and a slightly cold, wet, clean washcloth to help with swelling. Though there doesn't seem to be much swelling, there was a bit last night, but not as much today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give him some baby liquid ibuprofen. The dosing is on rat guide. Try using a little bit of water based lubrication, like KY jelly. My youngest boy, skittle had this happen, but before I could do anything for him, it fixed itself. But it wasn't swollen.....

I'll go and get some of the baby ibuprofen for him! He was only a little swollen last night, its completely gone down now

Small update: his junk is back in place! I tried putting a little more oil on last night, to make sure it didnt dry out before i could get to the store, and when I woke up his bits were back in place. I'm... oddly proud of my little merry

Back