Quantcast

Rat with nail chewing problem?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

Dena

I have a male rat, Fig, who chews his nails on his front paws like crazy! Like A LOT. He also "chews bubblegum" (that's what we call it). He does this when he gets excited, or is happy. It's not a brux and boggle kind of thing. It literally looks like he's chewing bubblegum! He does it so fast too! It's really cute. The nail chewing thing almost reminds me of a human chewing their nails, but his aren't super short.

Anyone ever seen either of these behaviors?

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
you are lucky to have a self-trimming rat for nails. You'll never have to worry about trying to trim long nails yourself :)
As for the bubblegum chewing...hahaha...I call this tongue rolling or lip smacking. Some rats will do this as their version of bruxxing. They often do both. I ADORE it :D

Dena

Yes, I figured it was his way of bruxxing. It's so darn cute! I even managed to get a video of it finally! The nail chewing is great, I just had never seen it. He does his front and back! He will be playing, and stop to chew, then go bouncing off to play some more! 😍😍

Dena

Here's a video of Figgy chewing his nails. I'll upload the one of him chewing bubblegum.

Dena

Figgy chewing bubblegum. He's so darn cute! You can also see a bit of baby, my manic tilty! She's so super sweet!