Rat with inner ear infection, really need help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratamunch

Around wednesday, I noticed my rat narcissa had some dry porphyrin around one of her eyes, and it was squinting at the same time. I figured shed maybe scratched it fighting with her sisters and it would pass on it's own, because that's happened before for me. Unfortunately, by friday she was beginning to lose balance, and vets were closed so I (stupidly) heeded my parents advice and was going to wait until they were back open to avoid paying the ridiculous emergency vet fees.

Yesterday morning however, she looked even worse and I decided that the price of an emergency vet was well worth my ratty and I called the vet. The vet seems to think that it is some kind of infection in both her ear and her eye. She is taking anti-inflammatories in the form of crushed tablets and antibiotics in the form of a vanilla flavoured paste.

Unfortunately my rat despises the paste, and no matter what I mix it with she turns her nose up, and earlier this morning I had to resort to force feeding, which scared the hell out of her. I was wondering if theres any specific stuff that I could mix it with to make her eat it, my rats adore almonds so maybe almond milk or something? Additionally, what should I be feeding her since shes too sick to feed herself? I've been pureeing veggies and chicken together with a bit of water and feeding her that, along with a bit of pureed pear to mask her pills and keep her hydrated. She cant drink out of the water bottle but she also doesnt seem interested in drinking water from a syringe, so what are some good alternatives? I have heard about pedialyte but how much should I give her? Thanks for any answers

Back