Rat will not accept others.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchywork

I adopted one rat a couple months ago. I really wanted to get her a partner but my roommate refused to let me get one.

But now that I don’t live with him anymore I decided to get two more rats. All three rats are calm and sweet (and female) but the oldest rat, Wheatley (the one i had first) refuses to accept the little ones no matter what trick I try.
Honey is the smallest rat she thinks she’s friends with Wheatley and just walks right up to her to groom her but Wheatley attacks her.
Zipper is the second oldest and she’s so sweet and gentle she tries not to bother Wheatley but Wheatley sees Zipper and just attacks her.
I have covered their scents spots with vanilla and put them in a neutral territory to bond. Along with lots of treats but it never works.
I even used a bit of CBD to keep Wheatley calm around the babies but she still will not accept them.
I’ve tried everything I know. I have even switches things in their cages and completely switched cages with them before so they get used to the scents.
The babies are willing to accept Wheatley but she doesn’t like them. I just want her to have some company. :(
Any advice?

Attachments

• 1E49D0CF-65B1-4013-9A43-770F764B465D.jpeg
    1E49D0CF-65B1-4013-9A43-770F764B465D.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 136
I think your roommate shouldn't get a say on your pets, as long as they don't bother him. Rats are relatively quiet, clean animals (except for at night... LOL) and they shouldn't bother him.
If I am thinking of the right thing, I don't think you should use CBD either, or at least not before you try many different strategies.

Have you tried the introduction strategies on joinrats.com?

I think your roommate shouldn't get a say on your pets, as long as they don't bother him. Rats are relatively quiet, clean animals (except for at night... LOL) and they shouldn't bother him.
If I am thinking of the right thing, I don't think you should use CBD either, or at least not before you try many different strategies.

Have you tried the introduction strategies on joinrats.com?
Yeah he was toxic so I left 😌✨

And no I haven’t but thank you I’m gonna read thru the website right now!

Sometimes it takes weeks. Also, make sure the babies are big enough. I have a feeling she will accept them in time, but you must keep calm. Make sure the territory is completely neutral, as in, NONE of the rats have ever been there before. Also, when you've got them in the neutral territory, no affection to any of them. Since your rat was a lone rat for some time, she's used to all the attention. Giving affection during intros will cause rats to fight over your attention/affection.

Sometimes it takes weeks. Also, make sure the babies are big enough. I have a feeling she will accept them in time, but you must keep calm. Make sure the territory is completely neutral, as in, NONE of the rats have ever been there before. Also, when you've got them in the neutral territory, no affection to any of them. Since your rat was a lone rat for some time, she's used to all the attention. Giving affection during intros will cause rats to fight over your attention/affection.
Ok thank you. I usually place a clean towel down in a bathtub to introduce them. I’ll try a different location.
And it has been at least two weeks of trying to introduce them. I got the babies on the 3rd of this month. Zipper is a good size but Honey is a bit small.

Ok thank you. I usually place a clean towel down in a bathtub to introduce them. I’ll try a different location.
And it has been at least two weeks of trying to introduce them. I got the babies on the 3rd of this month. Zipper is a good size but Honey is a bit small.
It took me 6 long weeks to introduce my single female to two babies. I waited for them to be big enough and took them to a place NONE of them had ever been and did 3 sessions each lasting about 20-30 minutes. I didn't give any of them affection. I knew my territorial oldest rat would've fought for my affection so I was completely silent and didn't give her any attention.

I put them on a tall, long counter about 4 feet off the ground. I took Big Schpog in one carrier and the babies in another and just put the carriers on the counter and opened them. I didn't say anything to them. I didn't direct them, nothing.

They were too busy exploring to fight and eventually they all got in the same carrier to rest a bit and that's when I zipped up the carrier and brought them back to the main territory and let them go. Took three sessions. They did squabble a bit when I put them all together after that third session but nothing major and the funny thing is, the baby that didn't get along with Big Schpog became her best buddy. The other baby was shy and laid back and she got along with my oldest instantly.

It took me 6 long weeks to introduce my single female to two babies. I waited for them to be big enough and took them to a place NONE of them had ever been and did 3 sessions each lasting about 20-30 minutes. I didn't give any of them affection. I knew my territorial oldest rat would've fought for my affection so I was completely silent and didn't give her any attention.

I put them on a tall, long counter about 4 feet off the ground. I took Big Schpog in one carrier and the babies in another and just put the carriers on the counter and opened them. I didn't say anything to them. I didn't direct them, nothing.

They were too busy exploring to fight and eventually they all got in the same carrier to rest a bit and that's when I zipped up the carrier and brought them back to the main territory and let them go. Took three sessions. They did squabble a bit when I put them all together after that third session but nothing major and the funny thing is, the baby that didn't get along with Big Schpog became her best buddy. The other baby was shy and laid back and she got along with my oldest instantly.
Ah ok, I’ll try releasing them on the floor of the bathroom. Thank you.
I was planning on waiting until Honey Pie was a bit bigger but she seems to be the closest to actually befriending Wheatley. But I’ll wait a little longer and then try again. <3

Back