Rat Wheels

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

Just wondering what the best wheels for rats are and what would be good for them. I see the saucer wheels all the time. Used to have a wheel for my rats, but never heard or saw them use it, but I want to try again. The original wheel was lost in a couple of moves and now I'm looking for a new one.

I'd like something that's quiet and won't hurt their backs or hurt their tails, preferably! I'd like to hang this on their cage so they can run on it when I'm not home or even while I'm sleeping if the wheel is quiet.

Something thats plastic and they can't get they're toes or tail caught also make sure they're backs don't bend when they use it so there's no back issues
silent spinners are good.

Is thr silent spinner actually silent though? Back when I had hamsters those silent spinners were not silent. At least... they weren't for me lol.

LMAO well I know the saucers aren't so silent if not on a level surface. My mice use them, and if bedding gets under them, it sounds like they are going to rumble right out of the cage! LOL
Not sure about the silent spinners. I would LOVE to get a wheel for my rats, and try it, but I'm worried about spending the money for an expensive cage decoration.

ok so what we did with our hamsters wheel before she passed (RIP Blossom <3) we would put oil on the like back part that spins. That made it silent. It also was attached to the wires of the cage btw.

ok so what we did with our hamsters wheel before she passed (RIP Blossom <3) we would put oil on the like back part that spins. That made it silent. It also was attached to the wires of the cage btw.

GOOD IDEA!! I wouldn't have thought about oiling it! :p

a solid wheel that is at least 12 inches in diameter
there are several types available
Rats tend not to like running on flying saucers (although mice love them)

My mice LOVE saucers, but didn't care for the kind that attached to the cage. I want to try a wheel with my rats, and it's good to know they don't care much for the saucers. I'll save money on that then. LOL

Just wondering, did you ever get a wheel for them yet?

I've been thinking of getting a larger wheel since most of my males are quite large. I've heard 14", 16", etc. All of which are hard to find or expensive.

Back