• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Rat Wheel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The_Hoard

I purchased a wheel for my ratties but they haven't ever used it. They don't even sleep in it like I heard they might as opposed to running on it. It is honestly not the best quality and it appears to be slightly damaged (the back wall is a bit bent but it doesn't affect the spin, I spun it myself when setting it up) It is the correct size for an adult rat (it's really a chinchilla wheel) It is black and made out of that wire grid material (it was cheap...I didn't want to buy a $30 wheel just to find out the babies won't use it and I was apparently smart to take this cheaper route. #ratmommaonabudget XD )
I bought it for $14 at Petco and will be selling it for $10 or less because it is damaged slightly and well...cheap...
Please comment for any offers or negotiations! I am happy to negotiate prices or anything of the sort. I will gladly pay for shipping, please just get it out of my possession XD

Stay Ratty :p

(I will be editing this post with a picture of the wheel, it is at Poppa's house right now)

Most people who use wheels for rodents wouldn't suggest a wire grid wheel, especially since toes, nails, and whatever else can get stuck. For rats especially, their tails can get trapped or stuck. I assume the same is for chinchillas and gerbils. I don't want to be judgmental or rude, just some friendly advice.

You can make linings for it, most people use sandpaper because it helps grind down those needly claws we all hateLOVE. The best part about the wire grid wheels is there are multiple places to anchor down a lining like this, as opposed to a plastic wheel where you would have to glue it down which, once the sandpaper is worn down, a pain in the butt to remove usually. If needed I will be happy to add a tutorial on how to make a lining for this type of wheel for the rat mommas out there on a budget like myself!
oh my god while i was typing this response i heard a loud splash in my rat's water bowl and Nicodemus was patting the water and cleaning his face with it ;-; and people say rats are dirty!

I'm not sure, I just know from research that people have done this as a method to trim back claws. I myself use lava blocks (I actually found an organic lava block at a fish store. it works great and is aesthetically pleasing) But even still, you don't HAVE to put sandpaper on the wheel. You could simply just line it with...anything actually. Fleece, plastic, shoot with the size of the squares, you could probably take some t-shirt yarn and actually weave it through every single hole to make it both squishier and easier to grip....actually that's a really good idea now that I think of it...literally just thought of that...

I've seen people suggest putting bricks underneath food bowls and water bowls/bottles to help trim up their nails. I've never done that and I don't know that I plan to.

I did the brick for a long time, and my boys ended up just using it to pee on. Same with the girls. So I ended up getting the lava ledges off Amazon. I tried the chinchilla ones, and yes, they are softer, and the rattos would just chew it, and it eventually broke under their weight. It lasted less time that the ones from Amazon, which were for birds I think.

Back