Rat visitor/ pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomNora

So we have been getting a little rat visitor by the cage, for sure the past week by poop cont. And now I have noticed that one of my rats (both femles) has swollen "private parts". I also don't know how to get ride of the visitor.

Your girls are probably going into heat if the wild rat is a male. Does their cage have narrow spacing to prevent him getting in and impregnating your girls?

The rat can not get in but I am wondering if they can do “it” between the bars. The visitor has been coming to the same spot every time they visit. I can tell from the poop. Only. One of mine appears to be in heat.

This is our home. The visitor comes to the left by the water bottle EVERY time. The other pics are of Lizzos swollen area.

Attachments

• 86587F41-2E7E-4881-9D62-D771773D9C10.jpeg
    86587F41-2E7E-4881-9D62-D771773D9C10.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 135
  • B6E59B7F-4EEF-4781-BAE9-DD7A5661CC94.jpeg
    B6E59B7F-4EEF-4781-BAE9-DD7A5661CC94.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 132
  • 3B2DDE18-F895-46FF-B98F-0ACC8BEB7992.jpeg
    3B2DDE18-F895-46FF-B98F-0ACC8BEB7992.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 137
So now our visitor is getting aggresive. He has bit both rats and the bottom of ones tail is gone. Now I am concerened about rabies and I don't know what I am going to do with them tonight.

Attachments

• bit rat tail.jpeg
    bit rat tail.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 121
Poor baby! That looks painful. If you have metacam, or children's motrin/ibuprofen, and know her weight, you can give her some. Lilspaz can help with dosing. If try to put the cage up high, like on a stand the rat can't climb. You can also use a live trap and try and catch the culprit. Hope things get better for your little ones.

Oh boy that sucks. Your girl needs baby advil. My girl had an inch of her tail caught in an automatic door and degloved. It healed on its own but I gave her baby advil for about 3 days to help with pain control and swelling. I also put a little antibiotic ointment on it a couple times and made sure my girl was always on clean paper towel bedding to prevent infection.

okay you are going to need to buy a fold out table and put the cage on it so your visitor cannot get to them. Make sure the table/cage is away from anywhere he/she can jump from...they can jump over a foot if determined.

Keep her cage clean so there's no infection, watch for signs of it especially redness moving up the tail from the degloved area. Most times the exposed bone/cartiledge will dry up and the rat will trim off the dead end and it will be fine. I had to go through a much more extensive degloving with Lilith without a vet (he was in hospital) and it worked out fine.

https://ratguide.com/health/figures-health/degloving_injury_figure_4.php

Thank you SOOOO much everyone. Lizzo (who was pictured) and Rizzo (who just got a bite) are doing very well. I have been giving them baby ibuprofen on cat treats that they love. The visitor did not reach them last night and I got an exterminator to come with live trap cages. Wish us luck.

Back