Rat traumatized after vet

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

madisonalyse

Hi! This is my first time posting on here.

I rescued a rat almost a week ago. He’s two years old. He has his head tilted to the side and doesn’t walk right, so I decided to take him to the vet yesterday. They gave him injections and sent him home with antibiotics and pain medicine, but ever since we left the vet he won’t really move at all. He also has a ton of porphyrin. He has a really bad bruise/ burn from the injections and he now won’t put any weight on his right leg. This was a new vet since my other one couldn’t get him in and it was curbside, so I wasn’t allowed back. Could the vet possibly hurt him or is he just really traumatized? He was okay before the vet and now he’s doing terrible. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Attachments

Pepper_rat

I would say contact another vet for a second opinion. Also, call back the original vet and tell them the new symptoms.

Dena

Can you please message lilspaz, and ask her to look at your thread? How is your rattie doing?

Renee

What injections did the vet give? That's really weird. Usually a head tilt is a sign of an ear infections, in that case usually only antibiotics are prescribed. I would look into what injections were given because I suspect they may have been a cause.

Latest posts