Rat tail injury :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! My pet rat seems to have cut her tail while I was at school. I called the vet and sent them some pictures but they have not replied yet. I was wondering if anybody had some advice for me. I put hydrogen peroxide on it and dabbed it. She seemed uncomfortable but it might have been because it was cold. I also put Neosporin on it.

Attachments

• E7E90C0F-A8C4-42D9-BEF2-DE0D3695C489.jpeg
    E7E90C0F-A8C4-42D9-BEF2-DE0D3695C489.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 4
  • C7546230-4BF9-4938-A867-545E92159D77.jpeg
    C7546230-4BF9-4938-A867-545E92159D77.jpeg
    796.3 KB · Views: 0
That's exposed bone, she needs antibiotics and possibly surgery to amputate it if it dies at that spot, for now you should keep it clean with saline rinses/washes(salt and warm water ONLY) and do not use anymore of the ointment or peroxide. Rats are notorious cleaners especially of wounds and you do not want them ingesting that. Keep the washes daily, preferably two or three times a day to keep the area as bacteria free as possible until the vets get back to you.

Last edited:
Don't put hydrogen peroxide or alcohol on it. It'll just burn 😬 Ointment will not help for a deep wound with exposed bone.

Follow up with the vet today and make sure to tell the vet that the bone is exposed. The only thing that can be done for exposed tail bone is to amputate the tail.

FYI for anyone who needed to know, peroxide kills the white blood cells (the good, healing blood cells), and can do more harm than good. It is actually supposed to be used as a mouthwash, but even then, you'll want to rinse with water afterwards. 😁

Back