Rat suddenly erratic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henishry

Hello everyone,

This morning while cleaning my girls cage, I noticed that my 22ish month old rat was behaving very different. She was running around her cage very erratically. She will occasionally run in circles and her back legs seems to be a bit weak. All together she seems unstable. I took her out of her cage and watched her run around like crazy on my bed because she was climbing the bars and falling off inside her cage. It's been around 3 hours and she has stopped pacing and is only calm behind my pillows. I tried putting her back in her cage with her sister but she continues to jump around and act very erratic. Also tried putting her in a dog kennel but she starts freaking out in there too and biting the bars. I thought she was struggling with the heat in my room so I tried cooling her down slowly. I don't know if she had a seizure or maybe she has a pituitary tumor. Is it possible that she is scared of her cage now because she had a seizure in it while I was away? I also cut her critter nation in half around a week ago so maybe she feels trapped?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Can you get us a video?

Is she moving at high speed, and possibly waving her head around? it might be manic symptoms for inner ear infection. I have a video of my rat showing these symptoms if you need it to compare.

The video might help us determine seizure activity, inner ear infection, etc

Can you get us a video?

Is she moving at high speed, and possibly waving her head around? it might be manic symptoms for inner ear infection. I have a video of my rat showing these symptoms if you need it to compare.

The video might help us determine seizure activity, inner ear infection, etc
Thank you so much for the reply! I'm not able to get a video at the moment because she has calmed down quite a bit now. I will definitely try to attach one if it happens again. Would you be able to attach your video so I can compare if it does happen again?

Back