Rat stares at me?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatDad2017

Hello everyone!

Quick question, does anyone else’s rat(s) stare at you? My rat cage is in my living room, so when I’m on my couch, one of my girls is always staring at me. Even if I just fed them or played with them, there’s always the same one looking at me! One day, she stared at me for two hours.
She is my most affectionate one, so I think it’s for attention, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Sometimes my boys will stare at me of something interesting is happening. For example if I’m cleaning my room or something they’ll come up to the bars of the cage and watch. Being the foodies they are they will also come to the bars of the cage if I’m eating something.

Mine stare at me ALL THE TIME! If I happen to move in their view, and catch their attention, no matter if they were just out for play time, or if I just fed them, or what, they will stare me down. If I'm in the same room as them, and I don't respond when they stare at me, they will lay down in the closest corner to me, put their face against the bars, and stare at me until they fall asleep. Macaroni, my oldest, and most loving one, will gnaw the bars until I either pick her up, or poke her nose. Then she will shower me in kisses. I know their eye sight isn't very good, so I thought maybe they were just trying to get a better look at what's going on. If my boys are staring at me, I can say "fat rats" (which they are, and I love their tummy squishes) they will get excited and start dancing with their front feet, and climbing the bars up and down until I come in there to love them.

Keeping in mind that rats can't really see all that far and all that well, it's quite possible. Rats rely mostly on smell for their environment.

Sometimes my boys will stare at me of something interesting is happening. For example if I’m cleaning my room or something they’ll come up to the bars of the cage and watch. Being the foodies they are they will also come to the bars of the cage if I’m eating something.
LOLOL, what rat doesn't?!?!? ALL mine will wake from a deep sleep at the sound of a bag crinkling, lolol

LOLOL, what rat doesn't?!?!? ALL mine will wake from a deep sleep at the sound of a bag crinkling, lolol

Oh for sure! All 6 of mine will come out of the woodwork if a package crinkles and they think they may get a bite!.....and they usually do get a taste. I've created monsters! :D

Back