Rat Squeaking When He Moves

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JParsons

The other day my eight month old male rat started squeaking a lot for no discernable reason. It seems to happen when I touch him in certain areas or when he moves in certain ways. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what area is hurting him, but sometimes it seems pretty bad- he squeaks and squawks just walking sometimes. His appetite seems fine, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of energy. I'm hoping it's just a sprain or something and it will pass, but I'm considering trying to get him into the vet. Any thoughts?

He's not limping or licking his tail. He seems to be grooming himself more than usual though. I've searched his body for lumps and didn't feel anything.

It's odd because he will jump off the couch without a sound but then suddenly squeak a bunch if I touch him or his brother touches him.

He could have pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve which zings when he moves a certain way. You said it's improving so just keep.an eye on him for now. If it doesn't continue improving you can give infant liquid ibuprofen to bring down any internal swelling and help with discomfort.

Back