Rat Squeaking more than usual

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPGG

Hi! One of my rat has been squeaking more than usual. I checked for any lumps or injuries and there aren't any. I also observed him and his brothers to see if it's because of rough play, but he sometimes squeaks even when he isn't playing with his brothers. I just brought him to the vet last week for a general examination and the vet also said that he's healthy. Any suggestions on what it could be? He is eating normally, drinking water, and taking his treats very well. I do have a suspicion that it could be swollen testicles. I am not sure as my rats' breed tend to be bigger, and it's the only one I could pinpoint that might look a little different from my other boys. I have attached some pictures below and if anyone could tell me if it is normal or not.
Any information is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 249
See how shiny the skin is? That means they are taut and possibly swollen. Are they always like that? Or do they shrink down to a normal pink? Does he lick his testicles?
How old is your boy?

See how shiny the skin is? That means they are taut and possibly swollen. Are they always like that? Or do they shrink down to a normal pink? Does he lick his testicles?
How old is your boy?

He is 1yr and 6 months old. I noticed it too and they weren’t always like that. His brothers’ testicles are not shiny and taut like his. I am planning on making another appointment to the vet to see if he needs surgery or prescription meds. Do you think he’ll be okay? Cause I can’t probably see the vet for 3-4 days more😥

UPDATE: Took my boy to the vet and took x-rays and his bladder is larger than it should be. The x-rays doesn't show any mass or anything wrong with the testicles, and would probably need to do an ultrasound to confirm if there is any mass or not that is pushing on the ureter. She gave me two options which is to do an ultrasound or wait it out for 2 weeks to see what happens. I really want to do the ultrasound, but it is a little pricey and one of my other boys just had surgery too. The sonographer only comes to their clinic once in a while and will only be coming this Monday so I have to make a decision fast.

Poor little guy. Those balls are swollen for sure.
I know😔 that is why I find it weird that nothing wrong is found with them. Hopefully the medications the vet prescribed helps. I am observing him closely and if he doesn't improve with the medications in a week, I will be doing the ultrasound. He has lost so much weight and it's scaring me.

I know😔 that is why I find it weird that nothing wrong is found with them. Hopefully the medications the vet prescribed helps. I am observing him closely and if he doesn't improve with the medications in a week, I will be doing the ultrasound. He has lost so much weight and it's scaring me.
Have you thought about neutering him?

Have you thought about neutering him?
I recently just thought about it and will be talking to my vet if he is strong enough to undergo that surgery. It also seems like he's developing a URI so i'm getting really worried. I'm already giving him meloxicam and enrofloxacin so hopefully they help. My vet is close during the weekends and I unfortunately have to wait Monday to talk to her about the possible URI that he's developing and neutering him.

Testicular torsion occurs when a testicle rotates, twisting the spermatic cord that brings blood to the scrotum. The reduced blood flow causes sudden and often severe pain and swelling

Testicular torsion occurs when a testicle rotates, twisting the spermatic cord that brings blood to the scrotum. The reduced blood flow causes sudden and often severe pain and swelling
Just searched it up and read a little about it. and it could be a possibility! I will definitely talk to my vet about it. I also told her about the possibility of neutering last appointment and she said she would like to wait until his next re-check appointment to see if there's any improvement on his bladder and such after medication. But I am pretty set on getting him neutered.
My boy is now more active than before and not squeaking constantly anymore, but hopefully his condition gets back to being healthy.

Just searched it up and read a little about it. and it could be a possibility! I will definitely talk to my vet about it. I also told her about the possibility of neutering last appointment and she said she would like to wait until his next re-check appointment to see if there's any improvement on his bladder and such after medication. But I am pretty set on getting him neutered.
My boy is now more active than before and not squeaking constantly anymore, but hopefully his condition gets back to being healthy.
Thank goodness for that. I'm so glad he's feeling better.

T
Thank goodness for that. I'm so glad he's feeling better.
thank you! Me too! He’s the most active rat that I have and when he stopped coming up to me whenever I opened the cage it really worried me, but now I can definitely see an improvement on his health. I’m keeping up on his meds and his vet appointments, and really hoping for a full recovery and a long life for him.

Back