Rat Sneezing Constantly - No Lung Issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeanbunker

I am truly stumped on this one, guys!
I've taken her to the vet 3 times since I've gotten her (about 1 - 2 months ago), and she checks out each time. The vets have a good listen to her lungs and she's completely clear!

The best they can tell me is that she's just got an issue with her nose, but even on a steroid/antibiotic she continued to sneeze!

I've switched to dust free bedding, I clean the cage every 2 days, and I feed her Oxbow.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Or has anyone had a rat with this issue?

Other than the sneezing, she's perfectly healthy. She plays a LOT, eats very well (she's even a bit chunky), and has NO porferin around her eyes or nose.

I bought my rats a few weeks ago and the smaller one sneezes a lot. I was bit by the bigger one within the first few day and I was left with a bad blood infection, but it was my fault entirely. I’ve had a phone call with the vets (covid preventing me from going in) and they’ve issued me with antibiotics for the sneezing. But he seems to be getting worse. I’m scared it’s respiratory disease as I’ve read it never really goes and can cut short their lives. I’ve only had them a few weeks so the pet shop have agreed to pay the vets bills thank god. Should I maybe insist on taking them into the vets or shall I wait a few days to get a better idea of if the antibiotics are working.

Stricklandemmae you need to create your own post not hijack someone else's.

As for the original poster....have you checked for environmental causes, Aur fresheners in same room as cage, candles, any string scents, using scented laundry detergent on fabrics in the cage? Does she sneeze the same during Out time as she does in the cage? Can you get a video?

Hijack someone else’s 😂 I don’t even know how it works I was literally asking a question. Jesus

If you start you own thread then people will see it and respond. If you ask a question in a thread started by someone else then people may not see your question and therefore no one will respond. If people do respond to you it can become very confusing because people will be respond to both you and the person who started the thread.

I dont use any scent diffusers or candles/incense in my house to keep the air clean for my mice and rats. She sneezes MORE outside her cage as she gets excited, too. It's VERY odd. We just changed her and her roommate to a new cage today which might help. No string scents either. No laundry detergent used inside or around her cage either. If I clean any fabrics put inside the cage, I do it with a non-scented soap and hot water only.

I'll see if I can get a video today. 😊

She doesnt seem to want to be social today. Probably getting used to the new cage. I dont want to overwhelm her, so I'll try getting a video tomorrow!

Back