Rat skin lesion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kermit&Pickles.Mom

My boy Pickles, has a large gash on his knee.
I believe it's from rubbing on cardboard egg carton. I had in the cage for like 24hours. Notice his sore and removed the cardboard egg carton asap.
He's about 6mo old.
He doesn't pick at it, it doesn't stink, so far no gew or puss. My pay check isnt for a week, so going to a vet honestly is not an option, unless I surrender him. But I'm not willing to give him up.

Recent I sprayed the lesion with diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide. Then a warm bath soak for a moment, he wasnt thrilled about that. Then a tight cuddle in the towel to calm his nerves.
He lives with his brother, Kermit, and I have separated them in different cages, hes in a small hamster size cage (seems good to have him not move around much so the skin can close up) and I do give them cuddle time daily together as it seems to be all they wanna do when they are each other and human time too :)
20191102_180437.jpg
20191102_180432.jpg
. The outer edge of this lesion is trying to scab, I do see him try to nibble off the scab but I feel it's not a good idea.

What do I do for my poor boy?
How do I keep his lesion clean and from becoming infected?
Can I sedate him so it can heal up to become less gross and the wound become stronger.
Please all the help possible

My 1st time posting on here.

View attachment 13268

That looks painful and highly susceptible to infection.! I would rinse it with a saline solution twice a day to help prevent infection. I'm not convinced that an egg carton did this.. Is there anything sharp in the cage? Like an exposed wire.? And check his brothers mouth for any blood to make sure it wasn't him.. If you have any pain meds (Metacam or something like that) I would give him a dose of that (you would need someone else to dose him if you don't have it already as I'm not very good at it) I wish the best of luck for this little guy.. Keep us updated on him.!

It looks like it could be a possible skin infection and needs antibiotics. Do you have any leftover antibiotics in your own cupboard?

Unfortunately no I don't have anything like that. The wound itself is not open flesh. It's very closed and underneath surface of the skin. I did make a concoction of acidophilus(2 billion active cells) powder from a capsule, and peanut butter for him to lick up.

I agree that the lesion along with the blistering is likely a skin infection. :( He may have had an open wound that's now closed but it looks like bacteria (possibly Staphylococcus) is the culprit here.

If it is a bacterial skin infection there are no at home remedies that will fight it and probiotics won't clear the infection. Pickles will need a course of antibiotics to clear the infection. I don't want to alarm you but please be aware that bacterial skin infections can lead to life threatening sepsis if left untreated. :(

I know that you said that you were unable to get Pickles veterinary care but if he doesn't receive it there is a possibility that if it is a skin infection that it can lead to sepsis and ultimately death. :(

I urge you give your local shelter a call today to ask if they might have a service available for low cost or free veterinary care without needing to give up Pickles, or if they know of a program in your area like that that they can direct you to.

Two ideas
The hydrogen peroxide is not effective with infected wounds. It causes tissue damage. A better alternative is the saline rinses
Triple antibiotic cream is cheap and may work
You should take him to a vet and explain your financial situation. The vet should give you antibiotics as the rat clearly needs them. Just promise to reimburse the vet as soon as possible. If the vet is at all understanding this should not be a problem

Please do not use hydrogen peroxide as it will cause harm to skin and tissue and will not help
Rats are not usually separated as it can cause stress and interfere with healing.
Rats do heal quite fast so if it is a wound it will heal fast - but Lilspaz68 says it looks like a skin infection

Could you add your prov and city to your profile as we may have members in your area
Your boy needs to see a vet and be put on antibiotics asap

Lilspaz68 has been involved in rat rescue for a very long time and has had a lot of experience with rat having various skin infections. She is a good person to listen to.
She may also be able to suggest reliable sources to order antibiotics from if you can not see a vet

Last edited:
Yikes. You're all scaring me. But I say it with genuine care. Nothings open today, I've phoned and emailed every place In town.
I've only separated the boys because for bacterial reasons and they wrestle a fair bit enough for concern of the wound cracking open. The skin is closed and I dont want to crack it open and create a worse problem.

I assume some of the scab is healing along the outside edge and has become itchy, which has caused Pickles to nibble at it.
My poor boy :'(
I dont want to surrender him :'(

Attachments

• 20191103_183655.jpg
    20191103_183655.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 216
We don't mean to scare you.. Only help and prepare.. The area looks very painful and I believe veterinarian care is needed.. If you could add the info like SQ suggested maybe someone is in your area that could help you get him to a vet..?

We don't mean to scare you.. Only help and prepare.. The area looks very painful and I believe veterinarian care is needed.. If you could add the info like SQ suggested maybe someone is in your area that could help you get him to a vet..?

Victoria BC, Canada

I understand well they need to be together but I am firm belief that it's good to separate them to avoid the skin from cracking open or rowdy playing could potentially puncture it. I do give them play time daily for about 10 to 20 mins, they eat together, snuggle and fight over a piece of a treat I give them, I do that for their spirits while they're separated.

I think I may drive to the local SPCA (it's a main animal clinic) and ask for help on the spot.

The seems to be a lot of swelling at the site of the infection. There may an abscess as well. In that case antibiotics alone will not work. The patient will need to have the abscess drained by a small surgical procedure. Obviously I cannot see the whole area but that is my initial impression as a physician

What part of Canada are you in? I'm in Toronto. I might be able to mail you some antibiotics (tablets that I will teach your how to mix up and dose). Infant liquid ibuprofen will help with discomfort and inflammation.

What part of Canada are you in? I'm in Toronto. I might be able to mail you some antibiotics (tablets that I will teach your how to mix up and dose). Infant liquid ibuprofen will help with discomfort and inflammation.

Victoria BC, Canada

Fidget is in her area so you might want to post which antibiotics you think she should get

Thank you to the rat Shack forum for this amazing opportunity for rat parents to help each other.

I found local aids that assist in helping animals lives!!!
I nearly had to surrender my boy in order to get him emergency medical attention. It was heart breaking.

He has an infection, hes sad and the vet gave him Enrofloxacin for I assume infection, and Meloxicam for his obvious pain. Diagnosis wasnt clear, other than he clearly has an infection. Hes home now, with his first round of antibiotics and pain medicine, I am putting him with his brother for some comfort and to help his little soul from the entire experience he endured today.
Then I'll separate them over night and get up in the night to check on him a few times.

Next few days will be hard but thank you all so much. Your feedback and input has been beyond words of happiness that Pickles could ever explain
20191104_182803.jpg
20191104_181011.jpg
:(:(:):)

My boy Pickles, has a large gash on his knee.
I believe it's from rubbing on cardboard egg carton. I had in the cage for like 24hours. Notice his sore and removed the cardboard egg carton asap.
He's about 6mo old.
He doesn't pick at it, it doesn't stink, so far no gew or puss. My pay check isnt for a week, so going to a vet honestly is not an option, unless I surrender him. But I'm not willing to give him up.

Recent I sprayed the lesion with diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide. Then a warm bath soak for a moment, he wasnt thrilled about that. Then a tight cuddle in the towel to calm his nerves.
He lives with his brother, Kermit, and I have separated them in different cages, hes in a small hamster size cage (seems good to have him not move around much so the skin can close up) and I do give them cuddle time daily together as it seems to be all they wanna do when they are each other and human time too :) View attachment 13269 View attachment 13270 . The outer edge of this lesion is trying to scab, I do see him try to nibble off the scab but I feel it's not a good idea.

What do I do for my poor boy?
How do I keep his lesion clean and from becoming infected?
Can I sedate him so it can heal up to become less gross and the wound become stronger.
Please all the help possible

My 1st time posting on here.

View attachment 13268
Hi Pickles Mom. That lesion looks both good and bad. It's good in that a vet visit may not be necessary since there's not much a vet will do other than clean it up and chech it out. But on the bad side, it's definitely infected so yoully need antibiotics can be bought from Jedds.com but the shipping might take a few days at best. If you already have some Baytril or Doxycycline (you can call around to friends as leftover Doxi is in many medicine cabinets (unfortunately since you're supposed to finish it ALL!!! But it might be a blessing in disguise, go check with all your friends!!!) BTW, keeping 2 100mg Doxi pills on hand for am inexpected deertick bite is invaluable against Lyme disease. Just like the saying goes... "Take 2 of these and call me in the morning!" OK, so you are doing everything right, keep his cage clean, keep him separated. Keep would clean (you can wash it daily with antibacterial soap. Be sure you rinse well.

You can keep him with his brother as I am sure he's stressed without him (both of them will be). Since there's no stitches to pull or anything like that. Just keep an eye on them initially to make sure your boy isn't getting hurt or anything like that.

Back