The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my troubles started about a month after one of my ratties Illyria being spayed. She is a young rat dalmation rat (just above one year now) and living in Ohio I was limited to one overpriced local vet specializing in "exotic animals" for the spay or another local vet who had never done a rat spay before. I chose the slightly overpriced vet and she was spayed.

About a month after the spay she started having weird breathing sounds and other typical respiratory infection issues such as mycoplasma around her nose. We were able to get in with the vet and I was charged 130 dollars for a five minute appointment and a prescription for doxycline and ciprofloxacin. Over the week Illyria's respiratory infection stayed relatively the same so I called back and was charged 40$ for a ciprofloxacin refill. Another week has passed and she is still sick but a recent development was finding centimeter sized white worms wiggling in her litterbox last night and upon litterbox cleaning again this morning.
At this point I've paid this vet an arm and a leg for treatment that hasn't worked and suspect she may have been infected with worms during her spay as I've never had any worm related issues until now. I'm not sure what to do as I don't have many great local options for vets and taking in all 5 of my rat colony for deworming would probably cost me an arm and a leg with this vet. Could the worms be causing the respiratory infection? I'm a little at my wit's end here and worried Illyria might not make it.

I've never had a worm issue or had a rat spayed, so I can't be much help. You can message lilspaz68 and have her look at this thread. You should probably get the med dosages for her, and maybe take a pic of the worms. I hope your baby gets better soon!

I have never had a worm problem - do you know what type of worms?
but have had many many rats spayed

Baytril alone on in combination with other antibiotics is the antibiotic of choice for most respiratory infections (although secondary infections can require other antibiotics)
I would suggest baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib is what my vet prescribes) - both are given orally, twice a day for at least 4 to 6 weeks if they are helping (ratguide,.com)

You would want to get the worms identified before doing anything. Health Guide: Endoparasites
Is possible that they hatched from whatever bedding etc you may be using

You may find our Reference Thread to be helpful REFERENCE Thread - Read Only
and I will message Lilspaz68

Please post videos of her breathing on youtube and then post the links on here.
What does she sound like when you listen to each side of her chest?
What does her breathing look like? Is she working hard to breath?
Does hold her mouth open, hang her head down, hold her head elevated, or panic?
is her weigh stable or is she losing weight?
Is her apatite the same, what does she eat?
How is her activity level? Has it changed?

To respond to all of you with more details:
The worms are almost definitely roundworms based on what they look like. Her weight, appetite and activity level remain the same but her breathing (which fluctuates between being fine for days and being sick - attached below) obviously indicates a respiratory infection. There's no realistic way for the worms to have come from bedding because I use fleece liners. I've also had rats for about 5 years now, have no other pets and have never had a litter exposed to worms so I suspect the only place she could have picked them up was at the vet. My previous vet was amazing but I recently moved here and started working with this vet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gn9tbzDQJMNSW2si6

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_014506.jpg
    IMG_20200513_014506.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Most rats are endemic to pin worms and will naturally have some in their body but it wont affect a healthy rat. They are the most common endoparasite for rats. When they start to make a rat unhealthy etc that's when you will need to treat them.

from ratguide
Helminths
  • Nematodes (roundworms, this includes pinworms)
    • Syphacia muris (the Oxyurid known as rat pinworm), most common parasite seen in rats. The life cycle is direct and requires only a short time, 11-15 days for completion of the cycle. They are migratory moving after ingestion to the large intestine and then to the perianal area to deposit eggs. These eggs are then disseminated into the surroundings, surviving weeks, where they can be re-ingested or ingested by another rat. Age, sex, and immune status are factors. Weanling rats, particularly males, may be most affected. These numbers diminish with the age of the rat. This parasite is not considered pathogenic unless there is heavy infestation or in the immunocompromized, and then signs may include: constipation, fecal impaction, and rectal prolapse. Humans have their own species of pinworm, and are considered a wrong host for the rat pinworm because its life cycle can not be completed.
Nematodes (pinworms, roundworms)
Treat with one of the following drugs; fenbendazole, piperazine, or ivermectin.

I can recommend you this way to get rid of worms. A veterinarian friend told me about a dog dewormer called fenbendazole. It’s branded as Fenben LAB and can be ordered online.

Last edited:
Back