Rat Scabs.help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some photos i took today sorry they are big- im really not good with all of this..

Genevieve Cottage:

002.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

she really is pretty! she's got big prawn eyes and a large head with a sleek body.

Her coat seems to have suffered a far bit through all of this. she is an orangey colour at the end of her hood because for some reason the ticking on her coat doesnt extend there..she looks strange!

It may never grow back. My Remi is like that. He had some scabs for the longest time, I don't know where it came from and now he's still bald in those spots.

Do rats scar like we do if we pick at scabs too much or if they get knocked off etc.? If they do that may be a reason for hair not growing back

The fur hasnt frown back much and if so it's extremely slow.

I also tried taking her off the cortisone but she started scabbing in exactly the same areas again- one small one near her eye and tiny scabs began to form in the same places on her back.

I guess i will just have to make sure she is taking the smallest dose possible for her to keep healthy. i'm worried about long term effects - and i cant find any childrens benadryl - i can find benadryl but am unsure of which 'type' to buy as they all have their own uses eg chesty cough or dry ....confusing!

I probably can, but before i buy what i think would be ok.

What are the ingredients i am looking for and what should i avoid?

are there any brand names i should avoid and should i buy childrens or is adult ok?

Hi everyone, i know it has been a long while since i've updated this thread. Genevieve is a very old lady now.she's almost completely blind and has had to be spayed at 2.5 years due to uterine infection. She is doing brilliantly.

I treat her every 4-6 weeks with revolution because those little scabs ended up being mites..her immune system is always lowered and she continues to get over run. ..funny how it didn't work back then but now it works a charm.

She only has ONE scab on her back in the same place- all fur has regrown around it. I keep her nails clipped. I saw two other rat savvy vets and both came to the conclusion that it is behavioural. She has been treated for everything it could be.

The scab doesn't look nasty and genevieve is no longer miserable.

Thank you to everyone who persisted. I suspect that through her life she has had multiple reasons for the skin problems which made it difficult to treat. I honestly believe it hasn't just been mites and behaviour all along but hey...it may well have been.

I hope genevieve continues to live out her life happily.

Back