Rat Safe Toy Materials

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by Mizzely, Mar 5, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 5, 2018 #1

Mizzely

Mizzely

Mizzely

I make bird toys (for my own parrots as well as selling them online) and am trying to see what all I have already can be used for toys for the rats. Here is my list so far; please correct me anywhere I need it!

So far I think I know the following are safe:

Hardwood beads
    Loofah
    Vine
    Apple
    Cardboard
    Paper
    Popsicle Sticks
    Seagrass
    Cork
    Coconut shell
    Cottonwood
    Cotton Rope
    Fleece
    Acrylic (Hard Plastic)
    Cholla
    Stainless Steel
    Vegetable Tanned Leather
    Yucca
    Bamboo
    Palm
    Willow

And unsafe are:

Pine (fresh)
    Soft Plastics
    Rubber
    Small Plastic beads (pony, etc)

What I am unclear on are:

Balsa
    Pine (kiln dried) (I've heard it's okay if they can't pee on it?? I know that most bird toys in the pet aisle are usually pine and those are supposed to be fine)
    Pinecones
    Mahogany Fruit Pod slices

Anything else I am missing, or any corrections to this list? I know birds are really sensitive and there is a lot of overlap but not everything overlaps! I just want to be 100% sure before I add anything to the cage.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 5, 2018 #2

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Yeah, that seems like a good list. I would still stay away from kiln dried pine. In fact, I didn't like any wood chips for bedding with my rats. It all irritated my asthma so I didn't want my rats to go through that, just in case.

3. Mar 5, 2018 #3

Mizzely

Mizzely

Mizzely

Oh yeah I don't use wood shavings or anything for the bedding. I was just confused about pine for toys specifically since pretty much all bird toys at the pet store have pine wood and I see those recommended for toys for rats all the time.

4. Mar 5, 2018 #4

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

I have seen a number of those items in bird chew toys. Some people do buy bird toys and use them with rats ..... Personally I would only use items that I thought would be safe for them to chew and would be safe for rats to eat. Rats usually chew and do not swallow chew toys, but if they think something is food, they will eat it. Also consider if something might be a choking hazard.

If you have not already done so, make sure the items do not contain chemicals ....... leather contains toxic chemicals - no ideas about the content of vegan leather but hope it doesn't .......
    ..... assume the pine cones do not have sap and not a choking hazard

I am wondering if sea grass or some of the other items much be sharp and cut their mouths if chewed .....

sorry that I am not much help

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. Mar 5, 2018 #5

Mizzely

Mizzely

Mizzely

Birds can't have chemicals either; even smelling some will kill them. They also will not eat non food items as a general rule but sone materials confuse them so they need to be monitored as well.

Vegetable tanned leather is still animal hide, but is tanned without chemicals and is instead tanned with tannins from various barks, leaves, and berries. Vegan leather is chemical ridden and is not safe for birds so I wouldn't use that regardless.

Seagrass I wouldn't call sharp; it's like a stiff rope and falls apart easily when cut or chewed.

I'll have to think about if anything else would be abrasive on the mouth. Maybe the loofah but that's the only one that pops out at me as a possibility.

6. Mar 5, 2018 #6

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

I would omit the sea grass, anything that might be dusty or fine as it could cause breathing probs, and I would stay away from all leather. Are popsicle sticks sharp when broken etc?

good luck