Rat regurgitates right after he eats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallbr22

Hi there guys

I have a Male rat who is 26 months old. Starting today I've noticed that everytime he eats or drinks he does some weird movements with his neck and then regurgitate. Also sometimes he rubs his chin all over the floor of the cage.

Any ideas what it could be?

the chin rubbing is to get ucky stuff off. Can you get us a video of him doing this? Have you checked his teeth? Possibly gently felt his throat for any lumps?
Maybe try soft food he can lick up and easily swallow. I use lab block mush (mazuri or harlan mixed with a lot of water) for my rats with tooth issues, or elderly/sick). You can try baby cereal, etc and see if he's able to swallow that more easily.

the chin rubbing is to get ucky stuff off. Can you get us a video of him doing this? Have you checked his teeth? Possibly gently felt his throat for any lumps?
Maybe try soft food he can lick up and easily swallow. I use lab block mush (mazuri or harlan mixed with a lot of water) for my rats with tooth issues, or elderly/sick). You can try baby cereal, etc and see if he's able to swallow that more easily.
I have a video but I am not able to post here. I took him to a vet today and he had pneumonia (no idea how he got it). He got antibiotics shot and some medication for 14 days. He seems a little better. Hopefully he gets better soon. Thank you for your help! :D

Back