Rat Posion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-Ratties-x

I didn't realise my door was open a crack and my rat ran through and under the deck. There is rat poison under the deck, but when I got him out he didn't show any signs of illness. Is there anything I should do to check he's ok? I feel like the worst rat owner

Last edited:
also note I check the doors every time I do play time I have no idea what happened. Also Sprocket was only under the deck for about 20 minutes, and that whole time he was running around. My other is sniffing him alot, licking him and chasing him around. Should I let him be near the one who was under the deck until I know for sure. I wiped him down with a wet cloth incase of any brushed things. And please don't get mad at me for having rat Posion under the deck, my parents are fine with the pet rats but the wild ones chew everything. If it wasn't for them I would never have rat Posion under the deck. 😭

Last edited:
While we wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in- I will say that treatment, as well as what symptoms to look out for, would depend on what kind of poison. (There are hundreds of chemicals that can be used against wild rats, and probably a dozen popular brands of poison)

As Lilspaz68 said, he is likely ok but keep a close eye on him.

Our Reference Thread contains good information on a number of topics including suggestions re some types of poison REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

It is unfortunate that your parents are poisoning rats, other small rodents, birds, cats, etc Killing animals just creates a void and other animals will move in to fill it. Some people use chemical birth control (SenesTech Inc.) to keep numbers down.

Back