Rat Porphyrin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venus_rat

My rat woke up with porphyrin all over her nose, mouth, her right eye and all over her hands. She looked like she got punched. Her lungs sound fine, but she's a little lethargic. She's been this way for two days. I don't know what to do. Is she sick or is this normal?

Also, I don't actually know if she's lethargic because she's sick. She's been slowing down ever since she lost her sight. So maybe that's why?? But I found her twice sleeping under the desk and she doesn't usually sleep when she's out.

She's got an appetite and is drinking

She doesn't have the Porphyrin on the top of her nose, that's just her coloring. It's just where her whiskers are.

Attachments

• 20200222_221730.jpg
    20200222_221730.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I had several rats, when they do have those secretions it means that they have somethings, it can be anything! The best thing to do is bring her to the vets if you care enough for her and have enough money for it, they usually charge a lot for small pets unless it's superficial.

Honestly, I care so much for my rats, but I can't take her to the vet. The vets said they'd help me, but then once I got both of my girls ((who were very sick at the time)), they just told me to let them die. They said, "they're rats and they weren't that much for you to purchase, so what's the point?". I'm basically on my own right now and I definitely won't be getting rats after this until I get a 100% reliable vet.

You should definitely find another vet! But he can be right if you're rat is very old, sometimes giving them medications when they struggle to survive is not the best options. But for the answer he gave you...

I've tried looking for vets all around. No one cares enough. I've been taking care of them myself. And my rats are only a year old. When they told me that they wouldn't help and to let them die, they were only a few weeks old.
Btw, she's doing a lot better now.

Back