Rat Pool Problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

I recently (within the last six months) added a shallow plastic bin filled with water and rocks, meant to add a little water feature, drinking spot, enrichment, etc. to my rats' cage. Unfortunately, it's just annoying me at this point and doesn't serve its purpose anymore. I want to get rid of it, but I want some advice first. If it wasn't nearly 12:30AM, I'd do a cage cleaning right now since I'm so tired and annoyed with the smell.

The little pool on the lowest level of a DCN because my cage sits next to my desk and near my PS4. I'd rather not have my laptop or PS4 get water spilled on. I have another problem-- water is being distributed elsewhere somehow, because the pan's fleece is getting absolutely soaked. I don't think the bin is leaking. My rats can't swim in it and none of them get much more than their feet and tails wet. Even with repeated use, that wouldn't be able to absolutely soak my fleece liner like it is.

Now it's no longer a toy, it's a new potty spot for them. The fleece I give them to cuddle is quite literally thrown into the water and litterbox, causing a smell.

It smells even with frequent cleaning, changing of water, etc. I'd love to continue having a water feature and a little pool/bowl to drink from, but I can't if they're going to poo and pee in it. I know others will suggest heavy bowls that can't be tipped over, but I have a couple of heavy ceramic bowls that they frequently tip over, so the pool is really my only choice.

This post is a tad bit irritated sounding because it's late, I'm tired, my chronic illnesses are flaring up, and I'm sick of this pool giving me problems. I can't really use it for a dig box either, because it is too shallow. I bought it just to use as a pool, not as a hide or dig bow. Any ideas for salvaging the stupid thing? Any ideas how to fix this problem? I can't remove the cuddle fleece and or any other nesting materials (paper towels, toilet paper, etc.) and it'll just end up in the pool.

what about only using it as a pool for pea fishing (so no rocks etc) during free range time in their play area, or for short time periods as a messy way to cool off during hot days

or turn it into a litter box and use something different for fishing for peas.

Sounds like what they are doing is normal rattie behaviour ….. in my experience rats will make a mess with water and water will end up soaking everything

It was originally for pea fishing that was just constantly set up in their cage and had shells/remnants removed. I think I should add some again, they really love peas (especially when frozen). I only ever saw or heard one rat at a time in there. It was usually Luci, Arthur, or Lil Chu. Despite nearly being two years old, Chu continues to act like a young rat. The two younger ones play with him the most. I think Owen didn't ever care for it and Grumpy and Ni-Ni have just been showing their age and prefer to spend their days sleeping on me.

It's just weird because I've had the pool for... almost four or so months and then it started soaking everything. For now, I've turned it into a little box with paper. Some rats show they like to dig or make dens, so I'm using the pool and rocks as another enrichment item. Treats in there, paper to shred, paper to make burrows out of. I haven't quite built up the confidence to think about using organic potting soil.

Maybe try the crinkle paper strips you can get at dollar tree. I get a few bags, and throw it in a sand bucket, or a box, and they go to town on it!

Back