The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRobinson_

Please help, on Tuesday night I noticed my rat Hector peeing blood. I phoned up the vet the next
morning and I got a appointment that afternoon.
He’s been put on Baytril for what we hope is just a UTI. However the bleeding seems to have gotten worse today (Thursday). I’ve attached a picture of what his hammock looks like.
I’m just at a loss at what to do, and the amount of blood has me worried. It could be kidney/ bladder stones or cancer but because he’s 2 I’m not sure there’s much that can be done other than trying to keep him as happy and comfy as possible.
He still seems to be eating fine (maybe slightly less than normal but still eating) and walking around ok but just a bit quieter than normal.
I believe he already has existing problems with his kidneys and some hind leg degeneration which I’ve already swapped his food for something less high protein. When I took him to the vet she said she heard something not quite right with his heart beat as well.
I guess I’m just asking if anyone has any advice they can pass on in what they might do or what else it could be and how I can help.
Thanks

Attachments

• EB2CA297-128B-4E5A-BEC3-E3150FE9E17E.jpeg
    EB2CA297-128B-4E5A-BEC3-E3150FE9E17E.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 230
I've had this issue before and a combination of Doxycycline and Baytril cleared it right up! I would recommend getting doxycycline aswell because often antibiotics work better when paired. Your vet should be able to prescribe it to you without another visit, definitely call them up.
Also make sure you're giving antibiotics twice a day for 6 to 8 weeks

That's too much fresh blood for a standard UTI. Usually it's blood diluted in urine. Try the antibiotics for sure but did they also give you pain relief like Metacam?

They actually didn’t give me metacam but I do have some already so will give him some of that. He actually seems a little bit better in himself yesterday and today, more active, eating more etc.
I actually have some great news, I just checked and his pee is almost clear again, not quite fully but no where near as bad as he was on Tuesday/ Wednesday when it was like pure blood.
I’m going to phone the vet because they defiantly didnt give me enough medicine to last 6-8 weeks but I’m seeing a major improvement today and I’m over the moon! I know we aren’t completely in the clear yet but to see an improvement has me so happy.
He’s taking his meds well when I mix them in with some bread, peanut butter or malt paste so I’m sure he’s been very happy to be getting extra treats, as well as his cage mate because he refuses to let hector get malt paste if he can’t have malt paste. Attached photos of new pee.

Attachments

• 76EE1080-7C1E-49E6-A52A-F6E6A11BE108.jpeg
    76EE1080-7C1E-49E6-A52A-F6E6A11BE108.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 219
  • AC953B9D-1770-4D43-8DAA-36D3420B2341.jpeg
    AC953B9D-1770-4D43-8DAA-36D3420B2341.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 202
Wonderful!!! Uncomplicated UTI's respond to antibiotics quickly and should only need 3 weeks of treatment. Initially they are uncomfortable so you can give Metacam for 2-3 days :)

Back