Rat noises

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What were the noises my rat was making?

• Respiratory infection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dreaming

• Common Baby rat noises

• Stress/ fear/ worry in sleep

• Total voters
J

Jess H

Yesterday I bought two 5-6 week old female rats that seem completely happy and healthy, but this morning one was sleeping on my shoulder and I could hear her occasionally quietly squeaking/making subtle noises and was also making a quiet clicking noise every breath for a while. While she was asleep she also occasionally twitched her feet and stretched. (which I assume is normal) Were the noises related to her dreaming about being away from her mum and old home, or a respiratory disease or something? She hasn’t made the noises since.(I don’t think)Neither of them show any other signs of a respiratory infection.

It's hard to say. Rats really shouldn't make any noise. If it's coming from the lungs, it's not a good thing. Can you hold her up to your ear, place your ear on her side and listen to the lungs. If you hear any noise, other than the heart beat, I would probably see a vet.

Rats do make noises all the time. Mine do when they're playing so I assume it's not symptomatic

Babies will squeak and shriek while playing but sleeping is a different matter. it could just be the "pop pop" sound of nasal congestion, but even this is signs that there might be a respiratory infection brewing and you will need antibiotics to cure it.

Can you get a video so we can hear the sounds?

Back