Rat Mills

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I asked Carla from the Fancy Rats forum for her permission to put up her post here. I think it drives the point home. This is what you support when you buy a rat from a pet store.

I study Animal Sciences in the Netherlands and part of my extracurricular activities consists of being a board member of a commission which organizes excursions to companion animal related companies. One of my co board members is into mouse breeding and, through another mouse breeder, she came into contact with a person who breeds rodents and rabbits for profit. In short, I've been on an excursion to a rodent farm.

Although I do not agree with the concept of roden farms, I do appreciate the fact that this breeder agreed to show us his company and was very friendly and open about any questions we asked, and we were allowed to take all the pictures we wanted. So for now, I will leave the ethics to you; I will present the facts as they were presented to me and show you the pictures I took.

This man breeds fancy mice, feeder mice, rats, hamsters (all common species), guinea pigs, rabbits, lemmings (not sure if that's the English word), degus and gerbils. He also had a few ornamental birds and a couple of owls. The rats are housed in pairs or in groups of three; lactating does are housed seperately with their young. The does are constantly pregnant or lactating. When they are done breeding, they become snake food; the same goes for ill and old rats or those that cannot be sold (deformities, etc). The rats are fed rodent blocks and a few extras like bread, cat kibble and some vegetables. They are kept on a Hemp type bedding.

He breeds all kinds of rats: double rex, naked, rex, dumbo, but also top-eared, normal fur, etc. The rats are of various colors but he is most proud of his blues, who are price winning. He showed a blue male that sat very quietly and contently in his arms; this rat was only handled once a week, during clean out, and even so it was sweet as pie. He particularly appreciated the character of blues, who he said were tamer (although I suspect this can be attributed to his 'lines' rather than the color as a whole). For new varieties, blood and upkeep, he obtains some animals from Czech, where prices are low but quality is poor; but he prefers rats from the UK, as that's where he could get the special colors and rats of good quality. The animals are sold mainly to pet shops.

And for now: the pics.

The hall. In front, in the white things are the guinea pigs; behind it are feeder mice and rabbits; in front on our right are mice, hamsters and gerbils; rats are in the back.

IMG_4735.jpg

The rat housings

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

SQ said:
Actually that is what you support if you buy anything, including pet supplies, from stores that sell animals.

Just have to keep that in mind, my hearts feels like rescuing all of them, but use the brain and don't support that kind of business :cry:

Keep in mind that this particular breeder is inviting people in and allowing photographs to be taken. The other 99% of Mill breeders are difficult to even find if you're not within the business somehow, and they do not allow such photographs to be taken. Their conditions are much more along the lines of what you would associate with a puppy or kitten mill.

I refuse to purchase animals from stores, and get 99% of my animals' things from supply only stores. Every little bit helps, and everyone has to do their part.

Yes, it is important to keep in mind that this "business" is one of the better ones which is why visitors and pictures were allowed.

Most of these types of operations are much worse than this ... horrible as it is ...

This is not cool. This is why I want to breed my own feeder rats. (I have a snake, you can beat on me later). My rats are pets, and are treated as such. I don't want to support this type of business even by just buying feeders. I work at a petstore and see the conditions the feeders in the back are kept. And they are fed live! That I definately don't agree with, for everyones sake.
Anyhow, those cages are unbelievably small. I never realized their actual size with a rat inside when I saw them on a rat site.

wow...I never knew that buying from a pet store was actually helping in something like that. My four girls are from the pet store, but I'm going to be getting the remainder of my little ratties from clark's rescue.
It's sad though knowing those little ratties are in the pet store breathing in all that pine shaving and could end up as a feeder. Makes it hard not to go to a pet store and buy them all

Sad but true, this is one of the pretty nice looking rat mills... like someone else said, they were willing to let someone come in and take pictures. Most animal mills won't let people in and certainly won't let them take pictures!

Now I know what the guy at the pet store was talking about. He took me in the back to show me the small drawers that the feeder rats were in...I about cried :cry:

My problem is I want to save them from the pet stores. The fact they keep the [pet rats] males and females together, instead of in separate habitats, annoys me to no end. I'm definitely getting my first two from a breeder.

Or you could get your next ratties from a rescue, shelter or classifieds. They may very well be a rattie that came from such a rat mill, bought at a pet store to finally be abandoned.

That really is an eye opening display, thank you for bringing it over here. I'll be sure to forward it to my sister, a self proclaimed animal rights activist who has no issues with buying animals from pet stores. This will likely change her mind!

Oh my god... I didn't even know about this... I can't believe this is where pet store rats come from, it makes me sad to see those rats all cooped up in small cages with no toys or nothing. I've wanted to get rats from a breeder or possibly adopt from the shelter but there are no breeders within my range and the shelters usually only have dogs and cats.

Makes me sad... :cry:

I actually feel sick looking at those pictures... That is just aweful...
All those poor little animals...

actually i think hes doing a much better job then most farmers who raise for meat. im rather impressed with the cleanliness as ive visited a couple of "breeders" and was thoroughly disgusted by what i saw. thats also pretty much what a laboratory setup looks like too.

hey anyone remember linda lawerence from barrie area?

i think what bothers people about that setup is there is little to no socializtion and small cages.

Back