Rat masturbate too much!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William kong

So yeah. I got a new rat. My fourth and he masturbates a lot.... I mean a lot. I don't know what to do with this guy. I tried to interrupt him when he does it which is always outside of his house, in hopes that he goes inside his house and does his business. I mean, I guess it's normal. But it's weird to me. My roommate and girlfriend think it's hilarious. But they aren't the ones having to go to bed next to this perv. Have any of you dealt with a rat that does this? Is it possible to make him stop. I do support his freedom to do what he likes. But he needs to do this in his house. I mean, my mom comes over and my family and stuff. And this guy jerks off 5 times a day. It's like I'll leave my place while he does it and when I get home five hours later, he's still doing it!! And he does it out in the open. I never knew rats even masturbate.

I thought he was grooming himself at first. But hes clearly stroking it with both hands and its clearly his dong poking up. He sits on his butt and uses both hands and licks it. There's a little pink thing poking out of his fur where his thing would be located. I think it's weird but my girlfriend and all my friends think it's hilarious. I interrupted him a few times hoping he would go into his house and do it but he doesn't. None of my other rats do that.

Hmm I’ve never even hear did that behavior. Does his penis look normal? I would try and examine it especially the tip... male rats can get penis plugs which need to be removed. My first thought is he’s over grooming it because it is bothering him.

My first thought is he has a prolapsed penis. You actually should take him to the vet and have a proper exam done on him. If it is swollen, which it likely is, and can't go back in, it's probably hurting him and he's trying to fix the problem. Can you get a video, post it on YouTube, then copy and paste the link to here. Also pics of his penile area could be helpful.

While some animals are known to masturbate, I'd go with that your new guy is experiencing some discomfort in his penis. As others have recommended, it may be a plug, it may be a prolapse, or it could be something else. I know it's weird to take a video of your rat doing this activity, but a video and/or pictures would be helpful.

If he is grooming that area as frequently as you're suggesting, his penis is probably very swollen and very irritated by now, which can cause even more problems.

Depending on what the cause of this overgrooming was, this may warrant a diet change. One of my first rats, Gideon, would get penis plugs frequently until I switched him to Oxbow food. The issue almost immediately went awau. Also, if it is a penis plug, red grapes would help Gideon pass them. It may also be a dehydration issue.

Typically with younger rats (before it's get too hard for them to reach down there and groom the area regularly) this behavior is normal, but not in the excess you're describing. My rats, when they've grown elderly, would almost always do this type of grooming as I hold them since I can offer them the support to remain upright and allow them to have an easier chance of bending over and grooming that and their testicles.

I've Never had a rattie do that, and I've had a lot boys.
Have you verified that it's going back in and normal in between his 'activities'? That's most important, if it's not retracting it could be a severe life/death issue.
If it is going back in normally I'd suspect he's having some discomfort or pain there as Dena said.
He may be an oddity, there's always kids that break norms, but can you have a vet look at it? If he has an issue it might be easily fixed early, but be a deadly and/or expensive issue later..

I have a young male albino rat with what looks like an extremely swollen set of balls or should I say his entire genitalia is swollen intact he hasn't been showing signs of discomfort or look as if it's slowing his daily activities in his cage much however it is just horrible looking and to me it looks like it could be painful anyone have any Ideal as to what could it possibly be doing this to him?

Back