Rat making weird breathing noises?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee

I don't know how else to attach a video so here is a google drive link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/103fKWSO5pbhVcMYypJwKMaGhwwAMlmTs/view?usp=sharing

Today is the 3rd day Janny has been making these noises, does anyone know anything about it? She shares her cage with 1 other rat but there are two other rats in the room. I cleaned her cage the day before I started hearing these noises, and I don't use dusty bedding

Hey Renee,

Those congested, grunty noises that Janny has been making are definitely the sounds of a respiratory infection. As you probably already know, rats carry a pleomorphic bacteria in their lungs and tissues called Mycoplasmosis or Mycoplasma Pulmonis.

Here is a link from the Rat Guide on M. Pulmonis: http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

Unfortunately you won't be able to properly treat this infection without veterinary intervention. Infections involving M. Pulmonis, if left untreated, may lead to serious lung scarring, pulmonary abscesses or pneumonia. I would strongly suggest that you take her in as soon as possible for a visit with a veterinarian so that they can prescribe Janny antibiotics to treat the respiratory infection.

Treatment is time sensitive to prevent the infection from advancing otherwise it is very likely that what was an upper respiratory infection will develop into pneumonia. Time is critical and since Janny has been symptomatic for 3 days, she needs antibiotic treatment as soon as possible.

Typically vets prescribe two antibiotics that work synergically called Enrofloxicin (Baytril) and Doxycycline (Vibramycin). Baytril and Vibramycin are typically dosed at 5mg/kg - 10mg/kg twice a day for at least 6 - 8 weeks. Some vets will only prescribe a 14 day course but in my experience respiratory infections aren't completely cleared and it may return if antibiotics are not given for the full 6 - 8 weeks.

Please make sure that you get her in to see a veterinarian as soon as possible so that her respiratory infection doesn't worsen and she can make a full recovery. :)❤️

Last edited:
Hey Renee,

Those congested, grunty noises that Janny has been making are definitely the sounds of a respiratory infection. As you probably already know, rats carry a pleomorphic bacteria in their lungs and tissues called Mycoplasmosis or Mycoplasma Pulmonis.

Here is a link from the Rat Guide on M. Pulmonis: http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

Unfortunately you won't be able to properly treat this infection without veterinary intervention. Infections involving M. Pulmonis, if left untreated, may lead to serious lung scarring, pulmonary abscesses or pneumonia. I would strongly suggest that you take her in as soon as possible for a visit with a veterinarian so that they can prescribe Janny antibiotics to treat the respiratory infection.

Treatment is time sensitive to prevent the infection from advancing otherwise it is very likely that what was an upper respiratory infection will develop into pneumonia. Time is critical and since Janny has been symptomatic for 3 days, she needs antibiotic treatment as soon as possible.

Typically vets prescribe two antibiotics that work synergically called Enrofloxicin (Baytril) and Doxycycline (Vibramycin). Baytril and Vibramycin are typically dosed at 5mg/kg - 10mg/kg twice a day for at least 6 - 8 weeks. Some vets will only prescribe a 14 day course but in my experience respiratory infections aren't completely cleared and it may return if antibiotics are not given for the full 6 - 8 weeks.

Please make sure that you get her in to see a veterinarian as soon as possible so that her respiratory infection doesn't worsen and she can make a full recovery. :)❤️
Thank you so much. We will be taking her to the vet soon!

update. I got Janny on medication, today is the 2nd day. I would have gotten her into the vet sooner but I've been having complications with my dog. We had to put her down today. Hopefully Janny gets better.
She's still eating which is great and she likes the medicine but she's cold and puffy

What is she taking?
What is her weight the strength of each med (mg/ml), and how much is she getting daily?

What is her breathing like? Is it getting worse?
What does she sound like when you hold her up to your ear and listen to each side of her chest?
Video of her today?

Keep her warm and well hydrated.
Is she eating? Holding her head up or down? Active?

update. I got Janny on medication, today is the 2nd day. I would have gotten her into the vet sooner but I've been having complications with my dog. We had to put her down today. Hopefully Janny gets better.
She's still eating which is great and she likes the medicine but she's cold and puffy

I'm so sorry for your loss :(. That is a lot of stuff going on all at once.

Following up on what SQ posted for you, how is Janny doing so far? If you need to offer her more warmth, you could try filling up a men's long tube sock (or a couple of smaller socks) with uncooked/raw rice and tying off the open end to use as a cozy and safe heating pad. Just pop it in the microwave for 60 to 90 seconds (make sure it isn't too hot before you place it next to Janny in her cage) until it is toasty warm and you can use it to give Janny a little extra support in helping her stay warm and cozy. The rice sock stays warm for about an hour so you'll need to reheat it every so often.

Please let us know how she is doing and hoping that she feels better soon! ♥️

You guys are actually so supportive thank you so much! Seriously y'all are awesome. Janny is eating and drinking which I know is a great sign! All I had this morning was pudding so today after class I got her some baby food.
The scale at the vet was broken so she weighed the carrier on the dog scale with her in it and without her in it and subtracted to get 1.1 pound, but she said not to trust that number......ok?
They prescribed me "Doxycycline" 0.03 mls at 100mg/ml, and "Enrofloxacin" 0.22 mls at 22.7mg/ml. I've been keeping them refrigerated.
Her breathing sounds better and she's moving around quite a bit. I'll definitely try the heated sock but I'll monitor to make sure she doesn't chew it up. (Eating uncooked rice and it expanding in the stomach is a myth right?)
Something I just realized as I'm typing this is that she is digging in her left ear. They checked her ears at the office but I'll call them tomorrow.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9cn7fxyWUw4zrQhDKACWY081y2Keuzh/view?usp=drivesdk
Thank you guys again!!!
edit: both medicine is twice daily or every 12 hours

Attachments

• 20191106_230527.jpg
    20191106_230527.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 222
Thank you for sharing a picture of Janny! She's a cutie❤️

I wouldn't worry about the uncooked rice. She won't have any issues if she discovers that there are treats inside the sock. ;)

As for the dosages, I'll leave that up to the experts here to give you accurate advice. I do like that the meds are a high concentration. That sure makes it a lot easier when you're dosing these smaller amounts!

Her ears are likely fine, but it could also be the start of an ear infection considering the history that she is already dealing w/ a respiratory infection. Just keep an eye on her if she keeps digging in there or starts shaking her head a lot along w/ the ear digging. A possible side effect of doxycycline is itching/ pruritus, so she could just be a little itchy from the meds. Ratties are also great at using their toes as q-tips, so it could also just be typical rattie grooming behavior.:)

Thank you for sharing a picture of Janny! She's a cutie❤️

I wouldn't worry about the uncooked rice. She won't have any issues if she discovers that there are treats inside the sock. ;)

As for the dosages, I'll leave that up to the experts here to give you accurate advice. I do like that the meds are a high concentration. That sure makes it a lot easier when you're dosing these smaller amounts!

Her ears are likely fine, but it could also be the start of an ear infection considering the history that she is already dealing w/ a respiratory infection. Just keep an eye on her if she keeps digging in there or starts shaking her head a lot along w/ the ear digging. A possible side effect of doxycycline is itching/ pruritus, so she could just be a little itchy from the meds. Ratties are also great at using their toes as q-tips, so it could also just be typical rattie grooming behavior.:)
Ahh thank you so much! <3

Hooray! Let's make extra sure that she gets a complete antibiotic therapy, too! Did the vet only give you 14 days of antibiotics or 30 days? Ideally it's best to give the antibiotic for 6 weeks, but I've never had a vet who prescribed that way. Usually it's 28 days and recheck...but I try to ask for at least 15ml of medicine so I can go ahead and stretch the treatment to 6 weeks. :)

If you have 14 days of meds, maybe ping your vet on day 10 and ask if she wouldn't mind prescribing for another 28 days just to follow the 6 week minium rule. :)❤️

Enjoy those yogies, Janny! ❤️

Hooray! Let's make extra sure that she gets a complete antibiotic therapy, too! Did the vet only give you 14 days of antibiotics or 30 days? Ideally it's best to give the antibiotic for 6 weeks, but I've never had a vet who prescribed that way. Usually it's 28 days and recheck...but I try to ask for at least 15ml of medicine so I can go ahead and stretch the treatment to 6 weeks. :)

If you have 14 days of meds, maybe ping your vet on day 10 and ask if she wouldn't mind prescribing for another 28 days just to follow the 6 week minium rule. :)❤️

Enjoy those yogies, Janny! ❤️
Thank you so much! She told me she gave me 30 days worth. I'm so happy with how she's recovering. I'll be making her some scrambled eggs tonight!

I don't know how else to attach a video so here is a google drive link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/103fKWSO5pbhVcMYypJwKMaGhwwAMlmTs/view?usp=sharing

Today is the 3rd day Janny has been making these noises, does anyone know anything about it? She shares her cage with 1 other rat but there are two other rats in the room. I cleaned her cage the day before I started hearing these noises, and I don't use dusty bedding

ANY breathing noises require further investigatory action. If you are experienced with pet rats and home treatment methods and medicine reductions, then immediately start him on Baytril (you'll need his weight) preferrably. If not you need to get him a vet appointment. FYI, normal, healthy rat breathing will produce absolutely no sound whatsoever, and being prey animals, they keep themselves 100% silent whenever possible, so when they make breathing noises, they have already gone past the point of being able to stifle the sounds and can not hide their illness anynore, which makes them a vulnerable (moreso) liability to their mischief. So your ratties definitely needs antibiotics for that URI ASAP.

That is great that the vet gave you 30 days of doxy and baytril (Enrofloxacin)
So glad that she is starting to feel better. :)

When antibiotics are helping rats need to stay on them for at least 4 to 6 weeks (I find rats need 6 weeks to be completely well), otherwise their symptoms go away but they are not completely better and the symptoms return once meds are stopped.

Please see the Reference Thread for info on these two meds https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Thank you so much! She told me she gave me 30 days worth. I'm so happy with how she's recovering. I'll be making her some scrambled eggs tonight!
Awesome! I'm so happy that she is feeling much better! Heck yeah, breakfast for dinner is my favorite! Enjoy your scrambled eggs Janny! ❤

Left my house Saturday morning, late, and forgot to give her the meds. Got back that night, immediately went to give her the medicine, and she was not doing well again. I gave myself hell for that. I gave her the night dose, then this morning I gave her the next dose, and I just gave her the next one. (Every 12 hours at noon or 1pm and midnight or 1 am). She's not doing well and I'm mad at myself for it. Hopefully she will get better again, I have her in my bed because she's cold. Also, one of the medicines I give her is a lot in the little syringe so I keep spilling it. if it's a little drop I don't do anything but any more than that and I'll fill the syringe up a little bit. I hope that isn't bad. Her appetite isn't very good either but she's still eating. She ate quite a bit of MY macaroni when she was in my bed last night but I didn't mind because she was eating.

It's okay, don't beat yourself up. We will just have to take a couple steps back and dose her and monitor if she improves by Wednesday or Thursday. If not, I would strongly recommend heading back to the vet for a recheck if you notice she is still having a tough time on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

Keep us updated and don't let this discourage you too much! ❤

Back