RAT LOST OUTSIDE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The camera is a great idea! Did you place a trap outside too? I would make sure you have one in the basement and one outside in some good cover (like under a bush near the back of the house).

If you feel like you might be inconveniencing her too often,I would definitely go out and pick up a small thank you gift along with a Thank you card to give her. :) I'm sure she isn't as annoyed as you think she might be. You would be surprised how many people would be very empathetic to something like this. ❤️

I hope the cat food works! Make sure you have another trap outside as well. maybe try shaking her fav bag/box of treats or crumpling up a brown paper bag (my ratties go bonkers for the sound of crumpling paper and come running towards the sound) to see if that attracts her. Keep us updated and wishing for good luck tonight for you!

Oh no. : ( I'm so, so incredibly sorry Sweet. How awful and traumatic for you...there are no words for times like this, but I am so very sorry and my heart broke when I read your post. Please don't blame yourself for this. You have so much love for your little girl and in reading your posts it was so clear how worried you were about her and how much she meant to you...the lengths you went to try and recover her are heroic and there's no doubt in my mind how much you loved her...so please, try not to blame yourself and try not to let guilt weigh on you. I know it's easier said than done ...but try to hang in there. You did everything that you could possibly do. An event like this could have happened to anyone here, it was not your fault. Life is full of incredibly happy moments and incredibly sad moments... sometimes really sh*tty things like this happen to the best of us and those we love even when we take very precaution and are so very careful and vigilant. : (

I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer for you and your sweet little girl. Hang in there and please post here and let us know how you are holding up. ♥️

My heart just broke for you.....
I'm glad you found her anyway, it's obvious you'd have suffered every day not knowing. Nobody could have gone further or done more than you did for your girl.
She's at peace, now you just have to find peace for your heart. She had the Very Best of love & care, and got to experience much more of the world on your shoulder than most ratties ever see. No rattie would want more from life than you gave her.

Oh no... I'm so sorry... I can't believe you had go through this.. Rest in peace little one..

I am so sorry. But remember that you did everything, and now she’s watching up in Rat Heaven and wondering why you cared so much. She knows you love her, and you’ll see her again. Look for the Red Birds.

I am so sorry. But remember that you did everything, and now she’s watching up in Rat Heaven and wondering why you cared so much. She knows you love her, and you’ll see her again. Look for the Red Birds.

I've also heard that before about the red birds-- cardinals carry the message that loved ones whom have passed on are letting you know that they're with you, so seeing one especially just after a recent passing is special. I've always really liked that sentiment.

I hope that Sweet sees a beautiful red cardinal today because her little one is popcorning and playing at the Bridge and one day, many decades now, she will definitely be reunited with her little lady again ♥️♥️

hey guys. i finally put barbara to rest yesterday. she traveled over a mile towards my dorm and was less than a block from home. it makes me feel a little better knowing she tried to get home. i just got two little tan hooded rats today so my other baby isn’t so lonely. i feel a little better

I'm so very sorry Sweet. :( I think it is incredible that Barbara was determined to make her way back to you, but I'm also so sorry that she was so close to home and how unfair life can sometimes feel when events unfold in the way they have. She loved you so much, there is no doubt about that. The bond that she had with you is really beautiful. I believe we as rattie caregivers are so very fortunate to have earned the trust of such an intelligent, gentle and empathetic little creature and with that trust, to build such an incredible bond with them through the love we have for them and they for us.

I'm really glad that you were able to honor Barbara one last time and as heartbreaking as it is, I'm so glad that you found her.

Bitter sweet congratulations on your two little ratties! I know it is such a sad time for you but I'm happy that you were able to open your heart again to give those babies a home. It's good to have a "distraction" during times like this and I'm certain that your other rattie will appreciate the companionship and excitement that these two new babies will bring. I'm sure that she will really miss her cage-mate Barbara and I think that the babies will help make grieving a little less painful for you both.

Have you thought of names for your little hoodies yet? I absolutely love hoodies. Hooded rats are one of my favorite types. ❤️ Enjoy your new little ones and I hope that your heart heals soon. ❤️

I'm so very sorry Sweet. :( I think it is incredible that Barbara was determined to make her way back to you, but I'm also so sorry that she was so close to home and how unfair life can sometimes feel when events unfold in the way they have. She loved you so much, there is no doubt about that. The bond that she had with you is really beautiful. I believe we as rattie caregivers are so very fortunate to have earned the trust of such an intelligent, gentle and empathetic little creature and with that trust, to build such an incredible bond with them through the love we have for them and they for us.

I'm really glad that you were able to honor Barbara one last time and as heartbreaking as it is, I'm so glad that you found her.

Bitter sweet congratulations on your two little ratties! I know it is such a sad time for you but I'm happy that you were able to open your heart again to give those babies a home. It's good to have a "distraction" during times like this and I'm certain that your other rattie will appreciate the companionship and excitement that these two new babies will bring. I'm sure that she will really miss her cage-mate Barbara and I think that the babies will help make grieving a little less painful for you both.

Have you thought of names for your little hoodies yet? I absolutely love hoodies. Hooded rats are one of my favorite types. ❤️ Enjoy your new little ones and I hope that your heart heals soon. ❤️
yes, they’re beatrice “trixie” and susan “suzy”. alley has taken to her role as a big sister happily! she’s finally eating normally again

yes, they’re beatrice “trixie” and susan “suzy”. alley has taken to her role as a big sister happily! she’s finally eating normally again
I love their names and it's awesome that Alley has her appetite back. It sounds like she is super stoked about her new little sisters :)❤️

Please post some pictures of your new little hoodie cuties and Alley when you feel up to it!

She had a wonderful life with you, and incredible adventures before she passed. I wonder if our ratties dream of worlds beyond the boundaries most of them have? Barbara got to experience so many new sights & sounds & scents...
It's so sad for you both that she didn't quite make it home, but you know her heart was there with you, and that's where she was headed once she got her gallivanting out of her system..

Welcome Home to your new babies! I'm so glad Alley is happy with them, and you have 3 happy little girls to help you remember Barbara with love and not sadness..

I'm glad you & Alley have them, I bet Barbara is too. It's their job to make you smile & laugh now, I bet they take it very seriously! :D

❤️❤️❤️❤️ Cuties! I love how Alley is the big sister now ❤️. Wishing you many years of joy and love with your sweet ratties! ❤️

Oh god this story is truly tragic, I literally just got 2 baby rats and one has escaped. Outside. Since we didn't know each other I'm having no luck getting to him. He has 2 brothers, I've been sitting where I lost him for an hour now, with the other 2 in the cage hoping that them being there might help him wanna come out. I'm already worried sick for him and the others. I've looked under the car which is where i thought he's hiding in but I'm not sure. If he is there then I just hope he comes out soon.

Oh god this story is truly tragic, I literally just got 2 baby rats and one has escaped. Outside. Since we didn't know each other I'm having no luck getting to him. He has 2 brothers, I've been sitting where I lost him for an hour now, with the other 2 in the cage hoping that them being there might help him wanna come out. I'm already worried sick for him and the others. I've looked under the car which is where i thought he's hiding in but I'm not sure. If he is there then I just hope he comes out soon.
If you haven't already, please make a separate thread for this, so we can help you. I hope you get your baby back. This made me sick to my stomach to read, and super sad for both you, and the rat.

Back