Rat losing weight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy

My 4 month male had this tension slice you called it, took to vet got antibiotics. Been 4-5 days and looking good. But he drinks excessively and has lost weight. Every other aspect he is normal, alert, active eats fine. Fur still nice and shiny, he cleans regularly. Going to call vet again but was hoping for some advice or any leads on why he's losing weight. He's not a fighter, more submissive and prefers to be with me than his brother and mate.

Yes he's was eating but today hardly at all and seldom drinks. I'm taking him to the vet this morning. Vet thinks it could be tumor inside, which caused his wound in the first place. I don't know but am very afraid for him...

I took Ghost to second vet today as I didn't have a good feeling about the two vets I was seeing. He went downhill so fast that prognosis wasn't good. New vet was awesome, he thinks it's his kidneys but Ghost was so dehydrated by this time there was no way he could get blood sample until he was hydrated. Success with blood sample. Sent us home with some meds and were to pick up two more prescriptions (pharmacies all closed tonight) tomorrow and be back in the morning. I was at vets for 10 hrs, got home around 6:15...
Ghost passed at 6:45 pm. Vet says by the time I noticed anything was amiss (the excessive drinking)
he was already advanced. In the last 48 he steadily declined. So kidney failure was the problem, He was only 5 months old.
When I noticed the excessive drinking, had I known, would have been at the vet's that day, maybe would of had a chance. At least to prolong his life with special diet. I'm so devestated... it's only been a couple of months since I lost my heart rattie. At least he lived a full life.
So going to get some protein strips so I can keep an eye on my other two ratties.
Apparently males more prone for kidney problems.
Nine years ( not really a long time) and 40+ rats I had never experienced anything like this. These are the first ratties I've gotten from a breeder. Ive always believed purebred anything has more issues... sorry for the long post, I'm in a fog and still trying to process this. It just hurts so much...

Back