Rat loosing weight, going bald and breathing odd but still eating

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demnvitx

within these few weeks my rat has started to breath odd, no loud noises but it looks like he's breathing fast and that seems to be bothering him alot as he zones out alot, but this has happened ever since I put him on respiratory meds. He's eating fine but I think he may be loosing weight aswell, he's also going bald near his chest and arm area, why is this happening? Is it because of old age? In not 100% with his age but I'm sure he's around 2 I stopped putting him on respiratory meds as I thought that's what's causing it, should I put him back on it?

I would definitely keep him on the respiratory meds (be sure you're getting the dosage right - you don't mention how long he's been on them). Can you take him to a vet? Sounds like he may have another issue too, for instance, heart problems can mimic respiratory problems. I don't know why he's balding, if he's doing it to himself it could be a sign he's having pain. If he has trouble maintaining his weight Ensure or Boost is fanstastic for that, it only keeps a few days in fridge after it's opened but you can freeze it in ice cube trays..

I know this is a late reply so hopefully he is feeling better... But if you notice any side sucking, deep breathing, or open mouth "breathing" that is a bad sign... and he needs emergency care. Rats breathe through their noses, so a tell tale sign of URI is a snuffling/chuffing sound and/or porphyrin around the nose. NOT to alarm you, but we had what you described happen to one of our dear girls and she sadly passed away... after seeing two different vets with conflicting advice (heart issue vs. respiratory). I think she had an undetected heart issue... but it's impossible to know. Mycoplasma/URI however is MOST often the cause, and it's symptoms range all over the place... so it's hard to pin it down sometimes. Doxycycline and Baytril combo typically works best for it, and side effects are rare... as long as you're getting vet prescribed/properly mixed and dosed meds. I would definitely try them ASAP if you haven't, and he isn't all better. I've seen more side effects relating to intracranial pressure relating to Doxy than anything, so if Pituitary Tumor was suspected that is a reason to pause... otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I have one girl on them now for what seems to be a mild URI/myco flareup. BEST of luck to you and him!

Do take the possibility of heart problems seriously, especially if respiratory meds don't seem to help. Heart problems are more common in rats than many realize and are too often misdiagnosed as respiratory issues. But a good vet can usually tell the two apart, perhaps with help of an x-ray. If heart is the issue then diuretics could deliver a quick but short-lived improvement. Heart meds like pimobendan may provide good longer-term relief, but it's important to start them ASAP before the condition is too far advanced. Your boy really needs to see a rat-seasoned vet - a 2-year-old rat could have many good months left in him.
The Rat Guide offers good descriptions and treatment options for both cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. See if these symptoms look familiar:
https://ratguide.com/health/cardiovascular/cardiomyopathy.phphttps://ratguide.com/health/cardiovascular/congestive_heart_failure.php

Back