Rat Limping, Not Using Left Back Foot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyenne

A04DB269-5FC5-42C2-B8A3-03BE7431B689.jpeg
Hi Guys,
My rat is around 2 years old.
His siblings have passed on, so he is the last of our babies.

We try to take him out for plenty of play time considering, and he started lifting his left leg and won’t put it down. At first I believed in was Hind Leg Degeneration (I think I spelled that correctly).

We got a decent sized one level cage with a very small platform that has a ramp with steps but his food and water are all in base level. He’s been doing great in there.

But today we noticed his foot has significantly swelled up; It wasn’t swollen till now. (Started lifting and limping maybe Wednesday July 31st— Today is August 5th).

My boyfriend Googled around and came across the term “Bumble Foot”. I just wanted to run this by here to get feedback.

He doesn’t have any pain when we touch it either. And his temperament is normal. Doesn’t seem to be in any pain.

We are going to call the vet tomorrow and try to get him in as early as we can.

(I didn’t get a photo of under his foot, just top-side).

The heel is where bumblefoot develops. A big sore. If there's no sore you could be dealing with a bad sprain or a bacterial.infection but the most common cause is a sprain. If you don't have Metacam/meloxicam you can give infant liquid ibuprofen every 4-6 hours to get the dangerous swelling down

Back