Rat lice. Ugh.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

Hey guys! It's been a very long time since I posted here, partly because of me finishing up school and then looking for a job. In the middle of the pandemic. Great idea, I know.

Anyways, I'm posting a thread here because I have a bad bout of lice on my rats (I forgot to freeze my litter bedding once and this is what I get). I finally got a job and was going to buy Revolution for my boys and I called up my vet annnnd.... $300USD was the estimation I was given. Now, I read lilspaz's blog post on ectoparasites and (from my understanding) I really don't need that much Revolution. Chewy sells a box of three doses for less than $60USD. My question is: Do I really need to spend $300, or is the three doses just fine?
Unfortunately, since I'm in the States, I can't get a hold of Revolution without a prescription from a vet. I haven't really considered ivermectin since that takes multiple doses and I'm worried about giving too much to my boys.

I appreciate any and all help! I've had lice before (back when I didn't freeze my bedding and was a dummy) and I used ivermectin before, but it's just too anxiety inducing for me 😬

For reference:
I have five intact adult males, four of which are just under 1.5 years old, and the other is supposedly around 2.5 years old (He's at least a 1.5 years old, because that's how long I've had him and the lady I took him from said he was a 1 year old when I picked him up).
And I have four intact male babies, all of which are under six months of age. One is a double rex and the other is a patchwork, if that makes any difference at all. They don't show as many symptoms as the adults, but they should be treated anyways.

Link me to the Chewy site for Revo and ill let you know what you need for 5 boys.
Revo comes in tubes of varying sizes. 3 tubes to a package. One tube of kitten/puppy should be fine for 5 rats :) so you'd have 2 tubes to spare :)

Lilspaz, I think vicious is saying they have 9 rats total. 5 grown males, and 4 babies. Is the revo OK to also give the babies (one is patchwork and one is double Rex). I think 6 moths is OK for revo. I'd treat all 9 at the same time to prevent reinfestation. Even if you don't see signs on the baby rats, the lice can travel on your clothes, or other things, cross infecting over and over. 😁 Just my take....glad to see you're back, and OK!

Back