Rat labored breathing please help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Christopia

Hello,
My rat, Milk, has some extreme labored breathing right now and I am not sure what to do
I want to take him to the vet but I'm broke and I am getting a new job but I'm afraid by the time I would have my first paycheck it would be too late
His breathing is extremely labored like he is trying really hard to. He doesn't seem to be making any noises but he squeaks sometimes when I touch him. He lives in a double critter nation with his 7 brothers but right now he's in a smaller cage next to my bed so that he doesn't get stepped on by them. I changed to a new paper bedding recently and that seems to be when the problems started occurring. It was critter care paper bedding and it was the only paper bedding that was at the store when I went. I took it out of all the cages incase it was maybe the problem. He's pooping and peeing normally although maybe excessively? He eats and drinks and he seems to be a normal weight. He started seeming better yesterday but then last night took a downhill turn again. I'm not sure what to do but if he makes it until I get my first paycheck I'm taking him to the vet asap. I don't want to lose him he is an extremely sweet and adventurous rat. Oh also he's about 3 months old. He's mostly white with a blond spot on his head and red eyes also his coat on his back is a little rough because he hasn't been grooming it but hes been grooming everywhere else fine. I want to take him to the vet so badly this breaks my heart.

Milk needs to see a vet and get meds now!
Sell things, borrow money, use a credit card, hit up family & friends …..
See if your vet will allow you to make payments

Milk needs the correct medication asap
a tiny piece of dark chocolate might help to keep his airway open until you can get him to a vet
do not put Milk into a steamy bathroom etc because if Milk has fluid in his lungs steam will add fluid and make it harder for him to breath

If it came on fast, it may be a secondary infection - try to get clavamox or amoxicillian
or it could be a myco outbreak so you would want baytril or azithromycin (dose is 10 mg/Ib of rat)

I would put him on clavamox (or amoxi) plus baytril (or azithromycin) asap
Azithromycin can be purchased from a drug store (you likely will need a prescription from a vet)
But he really should see a vet (I am not a vet)

The amount of meds he gets will depend on the strength of the med and on his weight
so if you do not have one, try to borrow a digital scale with a tare function so you can weigh him (this type of scale is important for rat owners to own)

Post on the facebook group Real Rat Lovers Want to Know - one of the people on there is a vet
Hopefully Lilspaz68 will respond soon as she may have some ideas

If it came on fast, it may be a secondary infection - try to get clavamox or amoxicillian
or it could be a myco outbreak so you would want baytril or azithromycin (dose is 10 mg/Ib of rat)

I would put him on clavamox (or amoxi) plus baytril (or azithromycin) asap
Azithromycin can be purchased from a drug store (you likely will need a prescription from a vet)
But he really should see a vet (I am not a vet)

The amount of meds he gets will depend on the strength of the med and on his weight
so if you do not have one, try to borrow a digital scale with a tare function so you can weigh him (this type of scale is important for rat owners to own)

Post on the facebook group Real Rat Lovers Want to Know - one of the people on there is a vet
Hopefully Lilspaz68 will respond soon as she may have some ideas

Thank you so much for the help but we just had to put him down
We took him to the emergency vet because he started turning blue and his prognosis wasn't good

So very very sorry. Your baby was too sick and likely would've passed even if you had antibiotics. You did the right thing for him. Sleep peacefully little one :(

Thank you guys so much for the support
I'm giving his brother, Omelette, a bunch of snuggles right now
Thank you so much for trying to help it means so much

Back