Rat Itching

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henishry

I just rescued two male rats. One has some scabs on his neck and a few on his upper body. My first thought was mites but I don't see any when I look through his fur. The other boy seems to scratch his face and lick his toes quite a bit but I'm not sure if its grooming or something else.
I know that these rats came from a very scented home and the previous owners used pine shavings and kitty litter as their bedding 😑 They were also on a terrible petstore seed mix that the owner admitted they didn't like so she mostly fed them cat treats and home-grown vegetables. Could any of this be what is causing the itching or can it still be mites or lice?

You typically can't see rat mites and it's very possible they have them, but it's also possible that it's an allergic reaction and irritation from their previous condition, you can watch them for a few days to see if they get any better but make sure they stay away from any other rats in the building and you should change your clothes and wash your hands after handling them in case it is mites, nasty little things... (also assuming they were switched to a good diet expect diarrhea for a few days !)

You typically can't see rat mites and it's very possible they have them, but it's also possible that it's an allergic reaction and irritation from their previous condition, you can watch them for a few days to see if they get any better but make sure they stay away from any other rats in the building and you should change your clothes and wash your hands after handling them in case it is mites, nasty little things... (also assuming they were switched to a good diet expect diarrhea for a few days !)
Thank you! I have only ever dealt with lice in the past, which I could clearly see in their fur. I have called in some Revolution to treat all my rats. These guys have been separated from the others but I still want to treat them all just in case.
I know that Revolution is placed between their shoulder blades. Should I wait until the rescues neck is fully healed before applying?

Back