Rat is making squeaking odd noises when breathing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komisar

Hello again, this morning I noticed my rat was making weird noises when breathing, kind of like a silent version of the noise rubber toys make. He only makes this noise from time to time, for the majority of the day his breathing was normal. It is usually accompanied by sneezing.
Is it time to bring the rat to the vet, or is this something temporary?

I let him stay in the living room for a few days, and the odd noises stopped. But I think he has far more serious problems.
First he started limping last wednesday (he is now much better), and then he started peeing himself yesterday. His whole bottom area is soaking wet for most of the time, which makes it a challenge to hold him. I have no idea what is wrong with him, and this worries me..

Hi komisar,
The noises alone really sounded like just a respiratory infection, which is usually easily treated when nipped in the bud and common.

However, with the new issue that popped up, it does sound like a bigger issue. I honestly have no idea what those symptoms mean. You should edit the thread name to something like: "New issue- limping and wetting self" so that more members can see that the problem changed.

He is a year and a half of age now.
No, I didn't bring him to the vets as it two hours by bus away from here and he stopped with the noises on the next day. I'll take him for a checkup in a week or so when the car is fixed, unless it is an emergency.

Edit: He doesn't pee while on my lap, only when I put him on the ground. It has me worried because it only started in the past few days. Could it be due to the lack of shavings to absorb the moisture, as he spends his time in the living room?

Oh wow, that's far for a vet. :(
Can you check for a penis plug? He's at the age for those and might be the issue with being wet.
The limping could be he sprained his foot, the wetness could be he's not moving away from his peeing, so he's marinating in it. You'll need to make sure he keeps clean because that can start to burn and irritate him.

Back