Rat is falling over, losing balance and lethargic...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, all!

Sorry for the late reply, things have been very busy here. I'm happy to report that, thanks mostly to the wonderful advice you've all provided, Bentley is doing much, much better. He is almost back to his usual self. He is eating and getting around like usual, with just a slight head tilt. His eyes also cleared up nicely, and are looking bright and healthy, save for a small spot on the left one.

I've redone their cage so that it is easier for him to get around, and reunited him with his cagemate (had to separate them for a few days due to the other one trampling him while he was in such a debilitated state.) He is still on the Baytril and the doxy to ensure the infection truly is gone. I have about a week and half supply left of both.

Here are some pictures!
20130919_222502_zpsaf682490.jpg

IMG_1025_zpsf3d42713.jpg

IMG_1006_zps5c40ce12.jpg

His eyes still look quite bright. Can he use his front paws to hold food? It may very well be inner ear infection which will require a good antibiotic like baytril or amoxicillin and a steroid like prednisone to overcome. With pituitary tumor, they will usually lose strength in the front paws to hold food, among other things. But if he's just circling, this could be an infection. Do you have any antibiotic on hand to give him? He needs to see a vet, for sure; even if it's PT, a steroid can slow the progress. How is he eating?
Plz help me

Can you post a video of him? It really helps the people here to figure out whats going on with a rat if they can see their behaviour. It could have been a stroke, could be a PT, an inner ear infection or a few other things so a video will help.
I need help asap
Can you post a video of him? It really helps the people here to figure out whats going on with a rat if they can see their behaviour. It could have been a stroke, could be a PT, an inner ear infection or a few other things so a video will help.

need advice under the thing where rat's head or tilting or they're falling on their side could be a seizure inner ear infection and I'm not saying that it's not that but not only did I take her to the vet and they didn't know exactly what it was and wanted me to pay an outrageous amount for test and blood work which I could not do now I have are at home with antibiotics but not only if you doing all that head tilt stuff but she literally can't get up every time she tries to move she just flips on her side and circles over and over and over she seems miserable but not really in too much pain but all I can do is hold her and try to get her to stop flipping and I've been hand feeding her and hand watering her I don't know if she's going to get better if she's not if I should put her down when I should put her down someone please give me advice
Sorry your rattie is sick and I hope he's feeling better soon ❤ :cuddle:

Don't give up your rat he looks a lot like my Finn! Opinions I got from here were ear infection and UTI from my video, but unfortunately he has kidney disease/failure. The first day or two I didn't think he was going to make it - he looked exactly like your describing now - just laying there and shaking. He is showing some progress on Prednisolone, but when we take him off of it he declines again. You need to get to your regular vet or one that specialized in exotics to have his ears looked at and a urine test done.

need advice under the thing where rat's head or tilting or they're falling on their side could be a seizure inner ear infection and I'm not saying that it's not that but not only did I take her to the vet and they didn't know exactly what it was and wanted me to pay an outrageous amount for test and blood work which I could not do now I have are at home with antibiotics but not only if you doing all that head tilt stuff but she literally can't get up every time she tries to move she just flips on her side and circles over and over and over she seems miserable but not really in too much pain but all I can do is hold her and try to get her to stop flipping and I've been hand feeding her and hand watering her I don't know if she's going to get better if she's not if I should put her down when I should put her down someone please give me advice
His eyes still look quite bright. Can he use his front paws to hold food? It may very well be inner ear infection which will require a good antibiotic like baytril or amoxicillin and a steroid like prednisone to overcome. With pituitary tumor, they will usually lose strength in the front paws to hold food, among other things. But if he's just circling, this could be an infection. Do you have any antibiotic on hand to give him? He needs to see a vet, for sure; even if it's PT, a steroid can slow the progress. How is he eating?

Tonight I came home to find my rat Bentley in a poor state. He is wobbling a lot when he walks, and sometimes just completely falling over on his side. He's not making much attempt to move about his cage like usual, mostly staying in one spot. He's not eating very much either, nibbled on a treat but gave up on it shortly after. He is normally a very curious and outgoing rat, this is not his usual self at all. I also noticed his nose had a bit of dried blood on it.

He is around a year and 9 months old. He used to sometimes walk in circles for a while, perhaps this is a related symptom. I'm very alarmed by his behavior and worried. Has anyone experienced this before, or have an idea of what it may be? Any ideas as to what I should do?

I plan on taking him to the vet, and will call them in the morning.
I am having a very close problem but wores my poor baby chip contently is falling over he won't pick any food up he keeps hitting his head and back it got so bad to the point I took he's second floor away. I just gave him his favorite snack grapes and he munched on them I also gave him a bolw of water to clean himself in but is there anything else I can do?

I have the same problem but really bad. My poor baby chip is constenly falling over and hitting his head he had alot of blood on his nous but I put a water bowl to clean himself in. He also won't pick up food and I haven't seen him drink much I gave him a grape but he had a hard time eating it I tryed everything I can but is there more I can do?

You need to start a new thread and put all the details you can in there. Age, etc. If you can take a video, upload it to youtube then post the link in here it would really help. It could be inner ear infection or it coukd be PT (pituitary tumor) from what you are describing.

Ok that is the best I could get he is eating some but I need to hold the food tight. I am curuntly feeding him hard food like dry fruit and seeds

Ok now more about him he is a boy around two years he has never had any heath problems his traits are clumsy cudly he uesly is enirgetic not to much since he was not felling well and that really it oh right ever since we got him he would sneeze not sure if that has to do with anything but ya

Ok now more about him he is a boy around two years he has never had any heath problems his traits are clumsy cudly he uesly is enirgetic not to much since he was not felling well and that really it oh right ever since we got him he would sneeze not sure if that has to do with anything but ya.

Today update chip is doing better he is trying to eat small on his own but so far his balance is off. He still can, t pick things up cuz when he try,s he falls over.

Back