Rat intros ( bad interaction)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I’ve just started to introduce my rats to each other one my older male rat and the two little rats I want to introduce them to. I’ve been swapping items in there cage as well as putting there cages close together. I decided they could meet after multiple weeks of doing this. It was going well at first they were just sniffing each other and walking away. However one of the little rats began to approach my oldest rats cage he then bit the little rat however no blood was drawn luckily so I thought it would be okay but just to put them away for the night and try again another day away from ether cage. Just wondering if anyone had any tips I know they may have fights for hierarchy just want to avoid any injuries. Thanks 😊

Make sure to pay a lot of attention to the body language as they approach each other. If their bodies are loose and they are acting curios and confident, running around or ignoring each other then that's fine. If they tense up, avoid each other, puff up their fur, squeak if they get near each other then they shouldn't be together yet. It's okay if they fight but if it does get aggressive make sure you have a towel nearby to break it up. Also, its great to reward them if you see them making progress with each other, like sleeping together, etc. Be sure to introduce them in a neutral big area at first so they don't get stressed out.

It is essential to do gradual intros so that no one is hurt or killed.
Babies need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 weeks is safer) before starting physical intros so they are large enough to defend themselves. Young babies do not smell like rats and can be mistaken for prey and killed by older rats

Please see Introducing new rats and joinrats.com for information on how to do a proper introduction.
There are several gradual steps, and it can take days, weeks or months, depending on the rats.

Please see our Reference Thread for good information on many topics REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

It is essential to do gradual intros so that no one is hurt or killed.
Babies need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 weeks is safer) before starting physical intros so they are large enough to defend themselves. Young babies do not smell like rats and can be mistaken for prey and killed by older rats

Please see Introducing new rats and joinrats.com for information on how to do a proper introduction.
There are several gradual steps, and it can take days, weeks or months, depending on the rats.

Please see our Reference Thread for good information on many topics REFERENCE Thread - Read Only
Thank you for the advice I didn’t mean to say babies there at least three months old and big enough to defend themselves I’ve been taking things slow and doing my best to do what’s right for all of them I don’t want any of them to get hurt I’ll definitely check out the link

Make sure to pay a lot of attention to the body language as they approach each other. If their bodies are loose and they are acting curios and confident, running around or ignoring each other then that's fine. If they tense up, avoid each other, puff up their fur, squeak if they get near each other then they shouldn't be together yet. It's okay if they fight but if it does get aggressive make sure you have a towel nearby to break it up. Also, its great to reward them if you see them making progress with each other, like sleeping together, etc. Be sure to introduce them in a neutral big area at first so they don't get stressed out.
I wasn’t planning on putting them in the cage together yet I know that takes several introductions and interactions and can take in some cases months i wouldn’t want to put any of them in danger and I split up the fight as soon as any aggression started to show there was no sign of aggression they were just curious to begin it happened quickly and no blood was drawn but for there safety I split them up and put them away for the night I will definitely be doing it in a more neutral area next time and take them into a different room away from any cages. I’ve done a lot of research on intros and i just wanted to post on here to see if anyone had any additional advice thanks

Back