Rat introduction

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by rattietatties, Oct 12, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Oct 12, 2019 #1

rattietatties

rattietatties

rattietatties

So I’ve had 2 male rats for a little over half a year now and recently (two weeks ago) we got a new baby. He’s about 2 - 2 1/2 months and for the past few days he’s been kept with his cage next to my two older boys. Introductions have been going questionably, they will sometimes he calm and ignore each other but has been boxing with my largest male at least once per introduction session. Today they squabbled a bit and I reached my hand in and he just climbed up it, I tried to put him back in but he was adamant about not going back in so I’m giving a little break right now. I was wondering in anyone has any tips to try to get them to get along better

2. Oct 12, 2019 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

3. Oct 12, 2019 #3

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Sounds like it's going pretty good. I would do a table top intro. Have them on the table with you sitting at their level. That can give the shy guys more confidence. Remember to encourage staying on the table. Also, add a plate of yummy wet food like mashed bananas. You want them siting near each other eating. They will learn that good things happen when they are close together.