Rat Handling Help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adryan

Hi, I'm looking for decent advice or help with my rats. Both of them are very nice, good boys and still young. I've had them for around a month now and I feel as both of them have warmed up fairly well to me. If I sit in my bed while they're playing they sometimes climb into bed with me and play.

However, one of them has a big issue with being put back into the cage. I try to pick him up with two hands to hold him properly but he struggles hard even when I do. I'm terrified of hurting him when he does this. Today was really bad, since he scratched me pretty good when he was trying to run away (I'm not mad at him I understand it happens.) But I worry he'll always be like this and that ending playtime will always be a scary chore such as this. Any advice maybe?

How long are they out to play and what is their cage like …. because it sounds like he wants to run and climb and play longer

Is it possible to give them access to their cage when they are out playing?
If so they can go back and forth and when play time is over you could put a healthy treat in their cage.
You can also give them a healthy treat after you put the back into their cage so it becomes something to look forward to

How long are they out to play and what is their cage like …. because it sounds like he wants to run and climb and play longer

Is it possible to give them access to their cage when they are out playing?
If so they can go back and forth and when play time is over you could put a healthy treat in their cage.
You can also give them a healthy treat after you put the back into their cage so it becomes something to look forward to

I usually let them play outside of their cage as long as I'm home. So usually a few hours. I imagine it'll just take training and help with giving them treats. They have a You and Me Manor but I took out all the wire floors and replaced it with stuff that wasn't as hard on their feet but still with a lot of places to rest and hammocks for them.

I think he's just kinda scared of being picked up. I'll have to slowly work on treat training him to get him to return on his own, which is what I normally do. But sometimes he finds other places to sleep and I have to go to work and don't want him to get into trouble while I'm gone

You could use a small box, add a treat inside, he walks in, gets carried to the cage, another treat once he enters the cage. My rats had access to their cage as part of their out time with a ladder. When play time was over, they knew it was veggie time. When I would say veggie time, they all ran back to the cage. So make it that a good thing happens when they go home. Eventually, he will want too. Also, for picking up skittish rats, I found it was better by taking two hands and scooping from under, like cupping them.

Back