Rat got stuck in house

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttt

One of my rats just got stuck in the window of their wooden house. They had gnawed off the wood that sealed off the window and one of the boys managed to get his ripcage through and then couldn't get out again. He was panicking and screaming and we had to saw him free. He seems ok right now but in chock. Would you say he needs to see a vet for an x-ray? Could his organs have been damaged from being stuck?

He is in shock? What are the symptoms?
Keep a close eye on him .... imo he will likely be ok (re organs and internal injury) but yes, he may need to see a vet depending on what is wrong.
Is he in pain? http://ratguide.com/health/basics/signs_of_pain_in_rats.php

Is he bleeding?
How is his breathing?
His activity?
Will he lick food off your finger?
Does he feel cold to you?
Is he dehydrated? (gently pull up the skin on the back of his neck and let it go, if it snaps back into place then his hydration is probably ok - dehydration kills)
Can you post a video?

Keep him warm and well hydrated. (If necessary you can give fluids, one drop at a time by syringe - no needle - into the side of his mouth so it does not go into his lungs)
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/basic_health_check.php

Edit: in anther post about a rattie concerning shock, Lilspaz68 wrote: "Does she feel cool to the touch? This is often a sign of shock, or even impending death. :( You could take her and put her on your bare skin under a shirt to help her with the cold body. If she's able to swallow try to get some sugar water into her (with a teeny pinch of salt) to help her recover. If she's unable to swallow, you are just going to have to try to keep her warm and wait."

If he is not hydrated and unable to take fluids, then a vet can give sub-Q fluids (a vet can also teach you how to do this and sell you the necessary supplies)

I hope he is soon feeling better and completely recovered from his horrible experience

Last edited:
I agree with keeping him warn and well hydrated. I've had rats get stuck in hammock holes in the past, it really is scary when that happens.

Thank you both. My goodness, I didn't even know a state of shock could be that serious. I've kept an eye on him during the day and fortunately after a few hours of him acting scared and shocked and hiding under a blanket in bed with me, he came around and has been himself since. He's not acting like he's in pain or anything, I've tried feeling around his abdomen and back to see if he reacted. He acts completely normal now, eats, drinks and runs around. It was really really scary and I'm so happy my boyfriend hadn't gone to work yet. 20 minutes later and he would have left. I have no idea how I would have gotten him out myself.

Back