rat got out of corset and removed a few stitches

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaseyb

hey all. my rat Merry had a tumor removed on monday. it was really, really small, about the size of an m&m. the incision looks like it was about an inch long. i was sitting with him doing laundry, and he had his corset on fine and seemed to be sleeping in his cage. looked back about 2 minutes later and he had it off and was chewing on it, and it looks like he may have pulled a stitch out too but i really cant tell. it doesnt look like its super open or anything yet. hes very happy and playful now that its off. im making a same day vet appointment in an hour, but i wondered if there was anything i should be doing in the meantime. i also wondered if there was an alternative i could ask the vet for so he doesnt have to wear the corset because it seems to make him really depressed.

Typically if they have pain meds they leave stitches alone so he shouldn't need that, as for the potentially missing one, rats heal super fast so if it's not a gaping wound just make sure it stays clean and he should heal fine !

How is Merry, is he still wearing a corset?:) Hope he had a smooth recovery.

Back