Rat frozen in terror or blind???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agy

It’s late and I’m in bed but need to just quickly post this cos it got me really scared. one of my rats, was fine all evening, had a great playtime earlier etc. Just now I went to say good night and he has been stood frozen in the corner moving his head from side to side (the squinting thing; he’s albino with red eyes). I tried to pick him up and he was literally so crazy to be released he nearly fell out of my hand. I did not try again after the first time. I tried offering him treats of all kinds. Nothing. I tried stroking his head. Nothing. Not moved. He’s been like this good 15 mins at least. Maybe a lot longer because I didn’t look at the cage for about half an hour before that. I know he was fine and sleeping under a blanket before. I have never seen him act like this. I have no idea what could have scared him. It’s either that or he’s suddenly gone blind?? When he was at the edge of the ramp at one point, it seemed as if he was scared to walk forward. Maybe he couldn’t see? Maybe that’s why he keeps turning his head cos he lost his sight?? He’s one year old. Was very energetic and happy earlier this evening.

The fact that he's white with pink eyes, he doesn't have good eyesight to begin with and those rats will sway their head from side to side to get a better depth perception. If he does it again, it might be wise to get a video of it to show us so we can have a better idea of what's going on.

This I know but he’s never been frozen in one place for so long. When I went later in the night, he was still there. I just checked on him this morning and he’s still a bit weird but he’s moved now to his blanket and he has taken food. I will definitely take a vid if he doesn’t improve.

What would have caused that? He was better this morning and ate. He’s been snuggled in the blanket with George last few hours. I also saw him groom earlier; I believe that’s important. Not out of the woods yet tho. I am worried

For that long? He must have been like this for a few hours. I mean he looked absolutely traumatised. I have zero idea why. Nothing here happened.

I was wondering about absence seizures or something neurological as well

I had a girl (Carly) who froze and did not move for a long time ….. she was having difficulty breathing although it wasn't noticeable …. you might want to get a vet check him out, listen to his lungs etc as he may have fluid in his lungs or a heart issue …..

How old is this boy? I had a rat that displayed similar behaviour and he did seem to go blind rather suddenly. My vet soon concluded that he had a pituitary tumour. Cabergoline treatments apparently restored his sight and he returned to more normal behaviour for several months, but then he relapsed quite suddenly.

How old is this boy? I had a rat that displayed similar behaviour and he did seem to go blind rather suddenly. My vet soon concluded that he had a pituitary tumour. Cabergoline treatments apparently restored his sight and he returned to more normal behaviour for several months, but then he relapsed quite suddenly.
...Ah sorry, I see you said that he is just one year old. That's a bit young for a PT.

He was check by the vet very recently and his lungs were clear and breathing fine. he's totally fine now btw. back to his happy self

Back