Rat drinking her own urine.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ratturtles

I have seen my pet rat drink her own urine twice today. I cant seem to find much about this on the internet so Im not sure if this is a normal behavior?

Three things to note:
1) I have two pet rats and between the two of them they drink an absurd amount of water. Theyre my first rats and Ive only had them for about a month now so Im not sure what normal water intake looks like. I think the water bottle I have in there right now is a 26 ounch and they drink that within 3-5 days most of the time. For all I know they drink a normal amount of water but Ive never had a pet pee as much as they do.
2) The rat in specfic who I saw drink her urine has had a build up of Porphyrin around one of her eyes since I got her. Its only the one eye and that eye has always looked slightly sunken in. I took her to the vet for this about two weeks ago and she was prescribed eye drops. Shes almost done with the eye drops and I dont think her eye is looking any better :( She also has slightly puffed out fur which I have heard can indicate sickness but again it could just be my paranoia as Ive never had rats before and am not sure whats normal for them. The vet didnt seem overly concerned though
3) Ive read that this can indicate a mineral defiency. I feed them oxbow adult rat food so I dont think this would be the case? I dont give them a lot of extra treats but occasionally they get cherios, yougurt treats, and dog treats. If this could be from a mineral defiency how do I treat it?

licking up urine is something that happens occasionally. Don't worry too much.

As for the eye, can you post a clear pic of it so we can help you figure it out?

Back