rat doesn’t like coming out of cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_ratowner

Hi, I know I post a lot on here but I am just all kinds of on edge.

I did look at other threads of people having the same issue but they all trailed off and never seemed to clear up anything.

My boy really doesn’t like coming out of his cage. He always tries really hard to jump out of my hands or wiggle out of my grasp so that he doesn’t have to come out. Rats really are smart though because he has figured out that if he goes into the boxes on the top level, that I can’t reach him/get him out. I really don’t want to force him or make him hate coming out. I always reward him with treats when he comes out (like a few peas or a yogurt drop) just to associate good things with coming out.

Another thing is that both of my boys haven’t been much of a playing type. They just hide in the boxes that I set out for them and just lay there until I have to put them back. My one boy likes to hide under my blankets (he is set up on my bed) with his boxes and such and even tries stuffing any gaps between the bed and the blanket with his own blankets, I don’t know why though. I don’t want it to be too stuffy down there for him but it’s what he wants ‍♀️. I never understood how some people have rats who will just cuddle and fall asleep on them, mine have never done that..

Have I done something wrong..? I don’t know what to do..

You haven't done anything wrong, sounds like you're doing good trying to find what works, Different rats have different temperaments, and if you got the boys together they likely look to each other to see how to react (a very trusting interactive one can make a new one trust you easier). Sometimes it's just time, and trial & error. Are you able to take the box he runs into out of the cage and onto the bed with him in it? (might be an easier less stressful way of getting him out).
If they just hide in the boxes on the bed you could try removing the boxes til they are more comfy with you. No problem with them going under your covers apart from chewing & peeing, but for that you could put pieces of fabric on top of your blankets for him to go under instead.
With timid ones I usually start by not bothering them when they're on the bed, but keeping a small treat in my fingers, when they figure out it's there they usually start coming to check, and I can gradually move my hand closer to my chest over time, then on top of it, to encourage them to get used to being on me..
Trial & error & patience sometimes, and maybe people have more ideas you can try.

You haven't done anything wrong, sounds like you're doing good trying to find what works, Different rats have different temperaments, and if you got the boys together they likely look to each other to see how to react (a very trusting interactive one can make a new one trust you easier). Sometimes it's just time, and trial & error. Are you able to take the box he runs into out of the cage and onto the bed with him in it? (might be an easier less stressful way of getting him out).
If they just hide in the boxes on the bed you could try removing the boxes til they are more comfy with you. No problem with them going under your covers apart from chewing & peeing, but for that you could put pieces of fabric on top of your blankets for him to go under instead.
With timid ones I usually start by not bothering them when they're on the bed, but keeping a small treat in my fingers, when they figure out it's there they usually start coming to check, and I can gradually move my hand closer to my chest over time, then on top of it, to encourage them to get used to being on me..
Trial & error & patience sometimes, and maybe people have more ideas you can try.

I could take the box out but it is behind another box so I would have to unclip them both to get it out. I can remove the boxes on my bed but I just don’t want him to be bored with nothing else to do. The chewing and peeing part doesn’t bother me at all, my bedding is just material things, I can always replace it, it doesn’t matter to me. I think he likes the darkness and roominess of being under my blanket so I don’t think he would be satisfied with pieces of fabric on top of the blankets. I have had them for over a year and they have always been like this. They did used to crawl on top of and around me when I when I would lay down with them. My one boy would even run to me when he got scared.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. You had some really good suggestions :)

It is honestly so hard to take him out of the cage since I rearranged the boxes to be like that (I try changing it up so he doesn’t get so bored being in his cage). I really like the set up and he seems to too. I have tried coaxing him out with a treat but he has figured out that he can stay on the top level and after a little bit of back and forth of me moving the treat closer to him hoping that he follows it down to where I can grab him, and him backing away after he can’t reach it, that he can just snatch it when I least expect it and it is a win lose situation. He gets to stay in his cage AND gets a treat, and I feel horrible for not giving him time outside of the cage and I feel like a failure for a bit :)

I did however take him out for a little bit earlier to take photos, but it was far too short to be considered a proper amount of time outside of the cage. I’ve attempted unclipping and moving the boxes to get him out while he was still in the box but it was just a big kurfuffle.

Don't know if it would be do-able with your set-up, but I have a board I can put between my cage & bed so when I'm watching TV in bed my boy can come over if he wants to, and go home when he wants to.

Don't know if it would be do-able with your set-up, but I have a board I can put between my cage & bed so when I'm watching TV in bed my boy can come over if he wants to, and go home when he wants to.

That is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, my bed is too far from his cage and also, he would never come out of his cage on his own.

Hi, I know I post a lot on here but I am just all kinds of on edge.

I did look at other threads of people having the same issue but they all trailed off and never seemed to clear up anything.

My boy really doesn’t like coming out of his cage. He always tries really hard to jump out of my hands or wiggle out of my grasp so that he doesn’t have to come out. Rats really are smart though because he has figured out that if he goes into the boxes on the top level, that I can’t reach him/get him out. I really don’t want to force him or make him hate coming out. I always reward him with treats when he comes out (like a few peas or a yogurt drop) just to associate good things with coming out.

Another thing is that both of my boys haven’t been much of a playing type. They just hide in the boxes that I set out for them and just lay there until I have to put them back. My one boy likes to hide under my blankets (he is set up on my bed) with his boxes and such and even tries stuffing any gaps between the bed and the blanket with his own blankets, I don’t know why though. I don’t want it to be too stuffy down there for him but it’s what he wants ‍♀️. I never understood how some people have rats who will just cuddle and fall asleep on them, mine have never done that..

Have I done something wrong..? I don’t know what to do..
How old? If they're still young, patient daily coaxing and conditioning will eventually socialize them into more trusting pets. But if they are adults you may never get them to trust you until they are seniors. Don't pick them up or grab them, that onlyakes it worse. Offer treats and your arm as a surface to climb on to by laying your forearm along their open door. If no luck then offer your shoulder. They usually play a game of back and forth, like the frog in the well. You know, 3 step forward, 2 steps back. They will come a bit further each time, but run right back in. They play this game of t" don't trust", for a long long time, and for many many days. Then one day you will be able to move away and they can't jump back. Then they will explore your arm or shoulder until you let them go home again. But.... don't be surprised when then want to go back home, then spin right around and want to come back. And when they are "stuck" in your arms, let them down onto your precovered bed so no pee accidents happen.
If you don't want to put in the effort to socialize them, return them and get replacements from a recognized quality rat breeder. Private breeders have a much better record of socializing and breeding conscious than pet store breeders.

How old? If they're still young, patient daily coaxing and conditioning will eventually socialize them into more trusting pets. But if they are adults you may never get them to trust you until they are seniors. Don't pick them up or grab them, that onlyakes it worse. Offer treats and your arm as a surface to climb on to by laying your forearm along their open door. If no luck then offer your shoulder. They usually play a game of back and forth, like the frog in the well. You know, 3 step forward, 2 steps back. They will come a bit further each time, but run right back in. They play this game of t" don't trust", for a long long time, and for many many days. Then one day you will be able to move away and they can't jump back. Then they will explore your arm or shoulder until you let them go home again. But.... don't be surprised when then want to go back home, then spin right around and want to come back. And when they are "stuck" in your arms, let them down onto your precovered bed so no pee accidents happen.
If you don't want to put in the effort to socialize them, return them and get replacements from a recognized quality rat breeder. Private breeders have a much better record of socializing and breeding conscious than pet store breeders.

Thank you for your response.

He is over a year old. If I didn’t “pick them up” or “grab them” he would never come out and I would feel like trash for not giving him proper time out of the cage. Those are the only ways that I can get him out of his cage, it has always been that way.

In regards to the whole “If you don't want to put in the effort to socialize them, return them and get replacements from a recognized quality rat breeder. Private breeders have a much better record of socializing and breeding conscious than pet store breeders.” No, just no. An individual shouldn’t get an animal if they can’t put in the effort to socialize them. You can’t just be lazy when it come to animal care. I am not going to return, and more importantly, I am not going to “REPLACE” them. He is just a scaredy rat and tend to prefer to keep to himself.

I do not mean to come across in an offensive way, I am just simply stating that I do not agree with your statement.

When I had skittish rats, I would offer them a box to climb in, they would climb in and I would carry them to the couch, with a big blanket and let them run around on the couch with me. It took some time but they eventually enjoyed our outings. Out time should also be consistent, every day. Rats love routine.

Back