Rat Digging Up the Carpet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hannahallie101

My girl Annie is very mischievous and enjoys ripping up the carpet in the corners of the room. I’ve tried negative reinforcement with a spray bottle and it’s enough to break her concentration with the floor and to get her to stop, but eventually she’ll gravitate back towards it then continue ripping it up again. Any suggestions on getting her to stop?

my only suggestion is not to allow her near the carpet
….. maybe a different room? maybe cover the carpet with a large, thick piece of linoleum (which also protects the carpet from urine etc)?
or let her destroy the carpet, carpet isn't great to have anyway and she is doing you a favour by starting renovations :)

you could try coating the carpet with bitter apple - a product sold by vets to deter pets from eating things they shouldn't - I never had any luck with it when I tried to deter chewing of the wooden legs and arm rests on my couch, but you never know

Please do not use negative reinforcement with a spray bottle. If it spays into her face it can cause health issues.

You can try scooping her up and using a short "time out" of 3 or 4 minutes (no longer then this) in a boring cage when she does this to teach her not to ….. but if she is determined it may not help. See joinrats.com for ideas

Can you give her other things to rip up?
She might like a digging box?
Check out the dapper rat at www.dapper.com.au/
Does she live in a huge cage with other rats and lots of interesting things to do?

She sounds like a real character ……… my Hannah used to organize the other rats to help in her quest to build an extra, small doorway into the bathroom ……….. nothing could deter her and her work crew and those rats designated to distract me - Hannah was definitely smarter then me.:cool:

Yep. Covering the carpet or not allowing her on it is probably your best thing. Honestly, negative reinforcement really doesn't work and if it does work, it should work within the first 3 aversions.

Back