Rat Cages - Canada - Where do I find an appropriate cage?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I'm curious about how you built this cage. Are the Critter Nation cages able to be taken apart and then reattached to each other, or did this involve cutting and reattaching them somehow? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they seem pretty solidly built. I'd love to eventually have a cage like this!
The critter nation cage (CN) has side panels, a front panel and a back panel that fit together. The side panels are not put in and the two cages are attached together using zip ties. Removing the side panels means the two CN cage is not quite as sturdy as each world be as a stand alone cage. It makes a really great cage that is 6 feet long, giving rattes the important horizontal space they need

Reactions: LMH

JesusFreeman

I'm looking for a cage about 100-150 CAD, and no matter where I look there's cages being sold hundreds of dollars past what they're being sold in America (the same cages). Where can I find a decent cage that meets the requirements for say, about 4 rats but that isn't selling for 400+?

I've felt really frustrated by continuously finding great cages online but then finding out they don't ship to me.
I built my cage myself out of wooden planks and chicken wire, that way I could build it exactly to fit in my apartment, to give my fluffies the largest living area possible, I had to build it like a high rise almost, with alternating levels so they couldn't fall down and hurt themselves. but also gives them the ability to climb and stuff, in the end I think I spent under 100 bucks for all the materials and if I wanted to buy a cage this size just based on surface area and complexity it definitely would have costed me 6 or 7 times what I spent. I also still have chicken wire left over to do other stuff with which was the most expensive, I think the whole roll cost me like 40 bucks or something and I still have most of it left over. The wooden frame is good since they like to chew on it and their wooden houses

mwp051699

I built my cage myself out of wooden planks and chicken wire, that way I could build it exactly to fit in my apartment, to give my fluffies the largest living area possible, I had to build it like a high rise almost, with alternating levels so they couldn't fall down and hurt themselves. but also gives them the ability to climb and stuff, in the end I think I spent under 100 bucks for all the materials and if I wanted to buy a cage this size just based on surface area and complexity it definitely would have costed me 6 or 7 times what I spent. I also still have chicken wire left over to do other stuff with which was the most expensive, I think the whole roll cost me like 40 bucks or something and I still have most of it left over. The wooden frame is good since they like to chew on it and their wooden houses
For that money you can get a single critter Nation! And then if you ever need another one you can get the top cage and have the DCN!

Morrigan

@mwp051699
You are severely underestimating the cost of Critter Nation cages outside of the USA. It costs a lot of money for a non-USA resident to buy a Critter Nation cage, probably double whatever the initial USA cost is.

@JesusFreeman
Honestly, I think it's admirable whenever someone can build a cage for themselves like that. Unfortunately, I don't have that level of technical skill. But it is a good idea for people who can. I once wrapped a ferret cage in chicken wire with some help though, and that was a great cage for a time....

@SQ
Thank you for the links! I've ordered some of the space pods and tubes to hopefully give them something interesting. The drainage pipe is really interesting, I'm going to keep that in mind for when we all get out of quarantine and it's easier to ask for specific requests. Your cage is so beautiful!

mwp051699

@mwp051699
You are severely underestimating the cost of Critter Nation cages outside of the USA. It costs a lot of money for a non-USA resident to buy a Critter Nation cage, probably double whatever the initial USA cost is.

@JesusFreeman
Honestly, I think it's admirable whenever someone can build a cage for themselves like that. Unfortunately, I don't have that level of technical skill. But it is a good idea for people who can. I once wrapped a ferret cage in chicken wire with some help though, and that was a great cage for a time....

@SQ
Thank you for the links! I've ordered some of the space pods and tubes to hopefully give them something interesting. The drainage pipe is really interesting, I'm going to keep that in mind for when we all get out of quarantine and it's easier to ask for specific requests. Your cage is so beautiful!
Morrigan ... Just order the DCN from a US company or Amazon or something, and have it shipped to Canada.

Morrigan

Morrigan ... Just order the DCN from a US company or Amazon or something, and have it shipped to Canada.
Most places do not ship cages to Canada (including Amazon), and in cases where they do its it's a huge cost. It is literally impossible for people outside of the US to get this cage for even roughly the same price. Trust me, I've done a lot of cage hunting. It is not a cheap alternative

Last edited:

Morrigan

I meant American amazon doesn't sell it, but yeah it is available on Amazon.ca. Just not at a cheap price, or one cheaper than making your own cage/some alternatives. I do think CN is a good cage, just way less cost efficient for people outside of America

heatherton

Gosh, some people are being incredibly unhelpful.

Critter Nation cages are not the be all, end all of rat cages. They have their pros and cons like any other cage, one of the cons being it’s (extremely understandably) outside OP’s budget. Most people aren’t made of money, and the cages are very expensive (honestly even if I had the money I wouldn’t buy one as they just seem overpriced, and I’ve seen them in-person too).
Despite giving their reason, that they either can not afford the cage or simply it’s availability to their area is so poor that it isn’t a viable option, people just keep plugging Critter Nations.

can people please be more considerate and recognise OPs statements and reasons. I don’t see the point of backing someone into a corner with ‘just get a CN’ comments until they cave or just throws their hands up and give up on keeping rats.

Latest posts