Rat block switch

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

I currently switching my rats over from Kaytee rat food to Oxbow essentials.

The reason I started this post is because I'm contemplating trying Oxbow's garden variety adult rat food. I won't be using this stuff in place of veggies, I'd just like to give some extra nutrients.
My rats will still get treats, veggies, some fruits, etc. and their staple Oxbow essentials block.
Aside from people saying their rats don't like it, has anyone else had trouble with it? It's non-GMO, according to Oxbow's page.

Unfortunately I have never tried it. With so many rescues I need to buy in bulk and at this point in time it is only available in a small size.

I would be interested in hearing what ratties and their humans think about it

Long time since I updated this thread, but I did start feeding my rats the Garden Select Oxbow rat food. They're completely off of Kaytee's rat food, and just on Oxbow now. I give them both Essentials and Garden Select from Oxbow. I noticed they like to eat the Essentials pellets right in front of their food bowl, but store the veggie stuff away. Perhaps there is a difference in taste, texture, etc. that they're not fond of.

Rats are smart! I'd bet it's like the equivalent of giving a kid broccoli and spinach and a side of Mac and cheese. They would rather eat the Mac and cheese! :D

I would too! Usually at that point, I'll give them only a little of the other food to encourage them to eat the veggie stuff. I don't know if it is nutritionally better or not, but it's worth a try.

Back