Rat Bleeding (actually bleeding not porphyrin) from Nose

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegem1188

Hi All,

My rat Flynn has had a few instances where he would bleed from his nostril after sneezing excessively. He was put on antibiotics, and it went away. This happened a couple of times over the course of a few months. We were bloody nose free for about three months, and it started happening again last night. It was still bloody as of this morning, so I gave him some Yunnan Baiyao and put him near a humidifier and it has seemed to calm it down. It always happens with a ton of sneezing, so I am wondering if it is a broken blood vessel. When it does happen, he becomes lethargic (I think from being exhausted from sneezing). I feel like if it were a tumor in there, it would be more constant, and would have progressed by now since it has been probably 5 months since it first happened. I have a vet appointment set up, so any advice or wisdom in the meantime would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all so much!

Do you happen to have a pic of him with a bloody nose (not because I don't believe you, but just so the more educated ones can see how bad and help)? What meds was he given? Doses? Also, his age and weight. I know I have one who tends to sneeze constantly when he sniffs around my bathroom (more dusty areas). But I haven't noticed any blood. But then again, it's really humid where I live as well. I would logically think you are right about the blood vessel, but rats are strange, and I guess it could be something else....

Back