Rat biting for no reason

RattoPazzo

Hi, I have a problem with one of my new rats thah has started to bite me for no reason. I'll bi minding my own bisness or just moving my hand near her and she bites, first just a bit and then harder. I've had a fear aggressive rat that was also a bit cage agressive, but this is someting else. also, makeing a yeep sound makes her bite down even more...

any suggestion?

she is 1.5 and living with another rat. she is also barbering, if that could be helpfull.
before thay came to me (3 months ago) they where in a somewat negletfull situation so maybe that's it, but she started biting like this 2 months after I got them.

thenks

lilspaz68

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Sometimes rescues take a couple of months before their more confident personality characteristics comes out. Sounds like she doesn't trust in the least. When she bites down gently at first she's telling you to go away, she doesn't trust you or she's scared. When you don't listen she will bite harder and harder. You can respect her wishes and remove your hand when she does that. It's probably safer for you

RattoPazzo

hi, sorry for the late reply

ok, but what if I do try to take my hand away and she doesn't let go?

It's a bit of a weird situation that we are in also because her and her sister where supposed to be introduced to my older rat, but due to a cyst and some very difficult characters intros stopped prematurely. They now share the same room for freeroam but live in separate cages, which might be escalating the situation.

also, they are not rescue in the typical sense as they come from a breeder that had to take them back from an adopter that couldn't take care of them anymore. before they came to me they were living in an overcrowded cage.
I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action might be, as I doubt that intros will ever be successful, but I also don't want to give them back to the breeder.
To get back to the biting thing, could it be connected to this unstable situation? maybe sharing freeroam area is stressing her out...

RattoPazzo

the new rats (sigma and runa) where both very skittish in the beginning. I think the one that is now biting, runa, was a bit more timid, for sure she was the submissive. after intros started she began to show a more aggressive side to her personality that at the time I believed to be due to the fact that between her and my older rat (tamira), she was taking the alfa role (but once in the cage with her sister sigma, she had to be the submissive).